Proverbs 6:16-19, “16 There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him: 17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, 18 a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, 19 a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.”
Did you know that there are actually things the Lord hates? King Solomon boldly lists seven things that are detestable to God. I would like to list and describe each one and also give New Testament scriptures to reinforce them. My desire in sharing these things is for the purpose of hating what God hates and truly loving what He loves. I sincerely pray that we will be a people after God’s own heart living our lives in holiness for He is holy.
(1) God Hates Haughty Eyes:God hates the look of pride in your eyes when you think more highly of yourself than you ought and you lust after power, 1 John 1:16. (2) God Hates a Lying Tongue: God hates when people lie and don’t tell the whole truth, Colossians 3:9. (3) God Hates Hands That Shed Innocent Blood: God hates murder, abortion, and unjust war, Romans 1:29.
(4) God Hates a Heart that Devises Wicked Schemes: God hates it when you plan to do sinful things and it doesn’t matter what “kind” of sin it is, 1 John 3:9. (5) God Hates Feet That Rush to Do Evil: God hates it when you are quick to sin, 1 Corinthians 6:19-20. (6) God Hates a False Witness: God hates it when people lie in business, politics, and in the church because they are supposed to be trusted, Revelation 21:8. (7) God Hates Dissension Among Brothers: God hates it when you gossip, slander, or act rebellious in the church and on the job, Titus 3:10.
May each one of us in prayer examine our hearts to see if we are doing any of the things God hates. For Paul said in Romans 12:9, “…hate what is evil; cling to what is good.”
- Examine your heart and repent if you are doing any of the things God hates.
- Live a life hating what God hates.
- Do the opposite of what God hates!