The life of Queen Esther serves as an encouragement to all disciples concerning God’s perfect plan and purpose for our lives. Just like how she was thrust into a time and situation not of her own choosing so are we placed by God into our generation and present situations. We must not be discouraged or afraid of what is ahead, however, we should trust that God has brought us to the place we are now for such as time as this. God will do great and mighty things in and through our lives just like He did with Queen Esther!
Summary of the Story of Queen Esther
- Around 470 B.C the Jewish people were ruled by the Persians under King Xerxes, the same king depicted in the movie “300,” Esther 1:1-2.
- King Xerxes replaced Queen Vashti with Queen Esther, Esther 1:3-2:18.
- Haman plotted to destroy the Jews, Esther 2:19- 3:15.
- Mordecai (Esther’s older cousin/foster father) with Queen Esther’s guidance countered Haman’s plot, Esther 4:1-5:14.
- King Xerxes honored Mordecai because of Queen Esther’s wisdom and executed Haman, Esther 6:1-7:10.
- The Jewish people were rescued from their enemies, Esther 8:1-9:19.
- The Jewish holiday of Purim was instituted to celebrate their deliverance, Esther 9:20-32.
- God blessed Mordecai, Queen Esther, and God’s people, Esther 10:1-3.
The key verse of Esther’s story is found in Esther 4:14 when Mordecai urged her to use her influence to save the Jewish people, “For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?”
Application of Queen Esther’s Life to the Disciples at Metro Praise International Church
- WE ARE BEING OPPRESSED BY THE UNGODLY | As the Jewish people were oppressed by the Persians, true disciples currently live in a time when they are surrounded by great wickedness and are being oppressed by the unrighteous. For example; martyrdom in Pakistan, North Korea, Nigeria, and in Middle Eastern countries like Egypt and Syria is on the rise. In the U.S. Christians are often times mocked in the media, ridiculed in the academic world, shamed in politics, opposed in business, and rejected by those who supposedly believe in “tolerance and inclusivism.”
- WE HAVE INFLUENCE TO CHANGE THE WORLD | Just like how Mordecai could speak to Queen Esther and then she could influence King Xerxes the same is true with God’s people. The theory of “sex degrees of separation” suggests that everyone on the planet is just six steps (relationships) away from meeting every person in the world. For example, I am good friends with someone who is good friends with Rick Warren, who is friends with President Obama. As a result, I am only two people (steps) away from directly influencing the President of the United States. And if you know me- you are only three steps away. Concerning the mayor of Chicago I am only one person away because I have three friends who are in relationship with the major. Therefore, we need to be bold and speak up about Jesus because we can bring deliverance to God’s suffer people and salvation to the lost.
- GOD HAS GIVEN US A PLAN | Queen Esther’s plan was two-fold: (a) God’s people needed to pray/fast and (b) She was going to strategically meet with the King. MPI’s plan is very much the same. We have a strategy birthed and grounded in prayer and consecration. Our plan has three parts: (1) A Vision: To “love God and people,” (2) A Discipleship Strategy: To “connect everyone to the cross, mentor believers with the Word of God, and send out trained disciples to make new disciples,” and lastly, (3) A Goal: To make “100,000 disciples in Chicago with 50 churches and 500 churches around the world.” Concerning national revival and cultural revolution, “without prayer a strategy lacks God’s infinite power and without a strategic plan of action prayer remains in the realm of wishing,” James 2:26, Isaiah 58:5-9, & Acts 1:4-9.
Four Things We Can Do to Fulfill Our Calling
- ACCEPT THE CALLING | Mordecai said to Esther, “For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?”- Esther 4:14.
- PRAY FOR A PLAN | Esther said, “Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do,” Esther 4:16a.
- BE BOLD AND SPEAK UP | Esther said, “I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish,” Esther 4:16.
- PASS ON THE GOD ORDAINED VISION & PLAN | The Bible records, “So Mordecai went away and carried out all of Esther’s instructions,” Esther 4:17 & Habakkuk 2:2.
FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS!