The tithe is 10% of our total income given to God faithfully.
Matthew 6:24, “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”
- YOU CANNOT SERVE TWO MASTERS: The Bible is very clear that Jesus is either Lord of all or He is not lord at all. The lordship of Jesus includes everything from your heart to your wallet!
- YOU CANNOT LOVE GOD AND MONEY: Notice how Jesus chose money to be the number one competing master for the Christian’s life. Jesus chose to make money the primary example because it represents the most common idol people set up in their hearts. The sinful greedy heart proudly says, “I work hard for my money and I will spend it however I want! My family and my bills come first in my life- not the church!”
- MONEY IS THE BEST INDICATOR OF WHO YOUR LORD IS: If you are not willing to be faithful to give God your best in tithes and offerings you are making a choice to serve money instead of God. So greed is not just a sin for the rich and famous, but it is the sin of all who refuse to make Jesus the Lord of their money.
- GIVING BREAKS THE ATTITUDE OF GREED: Every time you give your tithes to God you are breaking the chains of greed that come from the master of money and you are choosing to serve Jesus as the Lord of your wallet!
Be obedient to God in the faithful giving of your tithes so the sin of greed doesn’t take mastery of your heart.
- Ask God to forgive you for being greedy if you have been serving money rather than Jesus.
- Be devoted and obedient to Jesus as the Lord over all your life.
- Give your tithes faithfully as an act of worship to Jesus who is the Lord of Lords and the King of Kings!