“The Sermon on the Mount ends with four warnings, each offering paired contrasts: two ways (vv. 13- 14), two [kinds of prophets] (vv. 15- 20), two claims (vv. 21- 23), and two builders (vv. 24- 27). They focus on [end time] judgment and so make it plain that the theme is still the kingdom of heaven. But if some will not enter it (vv. 13- 14, 21- 23), the sole basis for such a tragedy is [the people’s] present response to Jesus ‘words.” (Excerpt from Expositor’s Bible Commentary). Today’s sermon is on true and false disciples.
Matthew 7:21-23, “21 Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!”
- SERMON ON THE MOUNT: The longest single portion of Jesus’ teaching found in Matthew 5-7 that serves as the foundation of Christian morality and spiritual practice. #KingdomBasics
- DISCIPLES: Born again committed students and followers of Jesus Christ.
- KINGDOM OF GOD/HEAVEN: The active rule and reign of Jesus in one’s life and upon the earth with kingdom blessings. The kingdom is all about the King!
- NOT EVERYONE WHO SAYS ‘JESUS IS LORD’ DOES GOD’S WILL (v. 21): Jesus boldly stated that not everyone who calls Him “Lord/Master” will enter into His Kingdom when He comes to reign upon the earth, Revelation 20:11-21:8. Only those who truly confess, “Jesus as Lord,” (Romans 10:9) and live by His commands (the Father’s will) get to enter in, John 14:15 & Acts 26:20.
- MANY SPIRITUALLY GIFTED PEOPLE REALLY DON’T KNOW JESUS (vs. 22-23): Jesus shocks His disciples with a warning that “many” spiritually gifted people will be pushed away and treated as evil doers because they never actually knew Jesus, Titus 1:16.
- BE A FAITHFUL DISCIPLE: Jesus in the parable of the talents teaches us to be a faithful servant that He promises to reward, Matthew 25:14-30.
- Truly repent of your sins and confess Jesus as Lord, Acts 3:19-20.
- Do the will of the Father by obeying Jesus’ commands, 1 John 5:1-5.
- Fall in love with Jesus and know Him intimately, Ephesians 3:14-21.