Living righteous has been misunderstood in the church so much lately that many Christians think it is more normal to sin and be forgiven than to avoid sin altogether. Plus, when those same church goers hear about living righteous they commonly mistake it with the “legalism of man made traditions” rather than the belief that it is the intrinsic identity of all those already in Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:21. Therefore, today’s message uses the popular Psalm of David to describe the disciple’s life on the path of righteousness.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV), “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!”
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NLT), “This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!”
- KNOWING WHO YOU ARE: (1) There are only two types of people in the world; “Sinners,” Romans 5:19 & “Saints,” Philippians 1:1. (2) Though there are two types of saints; “Worldly Christians,” 1 Corinthians 3:3 & “Disciples,” John 8:31; everyone is expected to be a disciple, Matthew 28:19-20.
- SOUL THEOLOGY: (1) When you were born again you became a new person in both your soul & spirit, John 3:3 & 2 Corinthians 5:15. (2) Though your body is still sinful, you are to count it as dead and live a holy life pleasing to God by His Word, 1 Peter 1:22-23.
- TEMPTATION: (1) Inward Temptation: From your sinful body, James 1:13-16 & (2) Outward Temptation: From the Devil regarding; (a) God’s Word, Genesis 3:1 & (b) Your Identity, Luke 4:3.
“1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 3 he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”
- THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD: When you know who your Shepherd is (Jesus, John 10:11), you will know who you are and will not lack any good thing, Matthew 5:48, 1 Peter 1:16, & 2 Peter 1:3.
- HE MAKES ME LIE DOWN IN GREEN PASTURES & LEADS ME TO QUITE WATERS: The bread of heaven is the Word of God (Matthew 4:4) and the water is the Spirit of God (John 7:38-39) which refreshes the soul.
- HE GUIDES ME ALONG RIGHT PATHS: The path of righteousness (right living) is always laid out before us to keep us from sin so we may please God in all we do for His name sake (reputation), Proverbs 4:18-19 & 1 Corinthians 10:13.
- HE COMFORTS ME IN THE VALLEY: God will not abandon you in times of hardship, but rather you will grow closer to Him, Psalm 34:18.
- HE BLESSES ME IN FRONT OF MY ENEMIES: What others intend for harm, God will turn around for your good, Genesis 50:20.
- HE ANOINTS ME & MAKES MY CUP OVERFLOW: You are anointed with the Holy Spirit and given all the resources of heaven to accomplish your calling, 2 Thessalonians 1:11.
- HIS GOODNESS & LOVE FOLLOW ME: When you follow God’s paths, God’s blessings and mercy follow you, Matthew 6:33!
- HE LIVES WITH ME FOREVER: You are the dwelling place of God, i.e., “His temple,” 1 Corinthians 3:16!
Proverbs 4:18, “The path of the righteous is like the morning sun, shining ever brighter till the full light of day.”