A hindrance is something that prevents us from being obedient to God’s commands.
James 3:14, “But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth.”
- BITTER ENVY: Bitter envy can come into a person’s heart when they think God has been unfair to them by blessing others. Bitterness refers to being angry and envy relates to jealousy.
- SELFISH AMBITION: Anything we do or desire outside of God’s plan for our lives comes from pride and it appears in selfish ambition. Selfishness refers to being “self-centered” instead of being “God-centered” and ambition is our wants and desires.
- DON’T HABOR BITTER ENVY OR SELFISH AMBITION: Make a decision to not allow bitter envy or selfish ambition to dwell in your heart.
Avoid bitterness by being Christ-centered and believing God will provide for you.
- Be faithful in giving your tithes (10% of your total income) and offerings (anything you give after your tithes).
- Repent if you have allowed bitterness to come into your heart and bring envy or selfish ambition, Hebrews 12:14.
- Ask God to remind you of His precious promises for your life!