Today on social media and in various comparative religion classes many try to claim that Jesus was either a legend borrowed from pagan myth or just one “god” among many. However, Jesus was a monotheistic Jew that loved and supported the Law of Moses (Matthew 5:17). Likewise, Jesus was a real person in history and not just a legend. Therefore, today’s sermon will hopefully put to rest, once and for all, who Jesus was and is- the only way to the Father!
Matthew 16:13-16, “13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” 14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
JESUS COMPARED TO OTHERS
- MYTHS (Horus, Mithra, & Osiris): When all the facts are laid out Jesus actually had nothing in common with previous myths, not to mention He is attested by all historians to have been an actual person.
- WORLD RELIGIOUS LEADERS (Krishna & Buddha): On one hand, both Buddhist and Hindu’s consider Jesus in high regards, however, on the other hand, like with the myths, when the actual facts are laid out, scholars in Christianity, Hinduism, and Buddhism agree that Jesus’ life is not similar to Buddha or Krishna. For example, Jesus was a monotheistic Jew who stated He came to “fulfill the Law” of God given to Moses (Matthew 5:17), which condemns Krishna’s teaching as idolatry (Exodus 20:3) and Buddha as a false prophet (Jeremiah 23:26-32).
John 14:1-14, “1 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.”
5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?” 6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”
8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.” 9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.
12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.”
THREE THINGS THAT MADE JESUS UNIQUE
- HIS INCARNATION: John 1:1-4;14-18.
- HIS SAVING WORK ON THE CROSS: Colossians 2:13-15.
- HIS RESURRECTION: 1 Corinthians 15:12-28.
*For more points visit here.
John 10:7-11, “7 Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. 8 All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. 9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture.
10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. 11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”