Praying and worshipping are the foundational activities in the Christian’s life that bring God’s presence and power. Sadly, most Christians don’t know how to properly pray or worship; nor do most Christians make time to do so on a regular basis. Some Christians have even forgotten or have never been taught that they are the temple of Holy Spirit and thus they should be in constant communion with the Lord, “practicing His presence” (1 Corinthians 3:16).
It is time that the disciples of Christ learn how to pray and worship so they can practice the presence of the Lord!
1 Corinthians 9:24-27, “24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”
SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINES DEFINITION: The commands and practices a disciple “show” in their life to “grow” spiritually because they “know” God.
TWELVE SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINES:
- Bible Reading
- Family Order
- Scripture Memorization
- Soul Journaling
- Praying & Worshipping
- Discipleship & Christlikeness
- Christian Service
- Public Evangelism
- Spiritual Meditation
- Financial Stewardship
- Christian Fellowship
- Church Involvement
COMMAND TO PRAY: 1 Thessalonians 5:16, “pray continually.”
DEFINITION OF PRAYER: To communicate with God by talking and listening.
NINE KINDS OF PRAYER:
- Prayer of Request, Ephesians 6:18.
- Prayer of Repentance, 2 Corinthians 7:10.
- Prayer of Intercession, Romans 8:26-27.
- Prayer of Thanksgiving, Philippians 4:6.
- Prayer of Unknown Languages, 1 Corinthians 14:2.
- Prayer of Faith & Declaration, Psalm 23:1.
- Prayer of Agreement, Matthew 18:19.
- Prayer of Spiritual Warfare, Ephesians 6:12.
- Prayer of Persistence, Luke 11:9.
More teachings on “Praying.”
COMMAND TO WORSHIP: John 4:23-24, “23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”
DEFINITION OF WORSHIP: To love and honor God with your spirit and in biblical truth.
SEVEN KINDS OF WORSHIP:
- Worship in Surrender (Yadah), Psalm 42:11.
- Worship with a New Song (Tehillah), Psalm 34:1.
- Worship by Kneeling Down (Barak), Psalm 95:6.
- Worship in Celebration (Halal), Psalm 113:1.
- Worship with Thanksgiving (Todah), Psalm 50:14.
- Worship with Instruments (Zamar), Psalm 57:7.
- Worship with Shouts of Praise (Shabach), Psalm 117:1.
More teachings on “Worshipping.”
FIVE PRACTICAL WAYS TO PRAY & WORSHIP
- Learn to practice the presence of God everywhere you go.
- Make time to be alone with God everyday for 30-60min.
- Include other disciplines such as, “Scripture reading,” “memorization,” “soul journaling,” etc.
- Follow helpful “Prayer/Worship Routines.” For example, go through the different stages of the tabernacle or the Lord’s prayer (See pages 109-110 in “Disciples That Make Disciples”).
- Join together with others (family, church, life groups, etc.)
James 4:8, “Come near to God and he will come near to you!”