Just like with grace, peace is not just an attribute of God, but Jesus Himself. Jesus is grace (“grace appeared”), Jesus is peace (“He Himself is our peace”); Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life. All that is good in this world exists because Jesus is its origin and foundation.
Our world needs peace because we need Jesus. When we know Jesus we will truly know and experience peace in every part of our lives; in our marriages, families, with our children, on our jobs, in our communities, in our churches and government.
Ephesians 1:1-2, “1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To God’s holy people in Ephesus, the faithful in Christ Jesus: 2 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.”
STUDY OF PEACE
- PEACE DEFINED: Peace, “eirene” in Greek, means; “Tranquility, without storm or conflict; to prosper and be whole.” In the Old Testament, “shalom,” was a key concept to the blessings of God (Numbers 6:22-27). Gideon called God, “Jehovah Shalom” in Judges 6:24 and Jesus is called the, “Prince of Peace” in Isaiah 9:6.
- PAUL’S USAGE: Paul used peace 43x in his epistles and 8x in Ephesians.
PEACE IN EPHESIANS
- Ephesians 1:2, “Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.”
- Ephesians 2:14-18, “14 For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15 by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, 16 and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17 He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18 For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.”
- Ephesians 4:3, “Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.”
- Ephesians 6:14-15, “14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.”
- Ephesians 6:23-24, “23 Peace to the brothers and sisters, and love with faith from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Grace to all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with an undying love.”
- Know the God of Peace, Hebrews 13:20-21.
- Be a peacemaker, James 3:18.
- Except discipline because it brings peace, Hebrews 12:11.
- Don’t be anxious, but be prayerful and keep the mind of Christ to live in peace, Philippians 4:6-9.
- Preach the gospel of peace to others, Ephesians 6:15.
- Let the Holy Spirit grow the fruit of peace in and through you, Galatians 5:22.
- Guard your hearts from trouble and fear with Jesus’ peace, John 14:27.
No Jesus, no peace; know Jesus, know peace.