Proverbs 18:2, “He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord.”
God will direct both the man and woman through His Spirit to meet each other, fall in love and marry. Today’s passage teaches the traditional role of the man pursuing the woman, however, both should pursue God and in so doing find each other. Think of two paths heading in the same direction from two starting points intersecting. Someone once said, “A woman should be so lost in God, that a man must seek Him to find her.”
Here are “Seven Steps to a Godly Marriage,” from my book, Date Like a Christian; (1) The Search: Be the right person God wants you to be so as a man you can find the right woman and as a woman you can be found by the right man. (2) The Intro: Once you have found someone that seems to be God’s choice, make time to pray and get to know each other first as friends. (3) The Taste Test: As friends with potential for more, let God lead you as you become closer and discover His will for your lives.
(4) Love vs. Lust: As you are getting to know each other, let God either open your heart to love so you can start a relationship or close the door of “lust” and stay friends. (5) Down For Life: If you are truly in love with the person, seek God to confirm that you are to be together for life. (6) The Engagement: Seek God for the best time to become engaged and begin to make preparations to get married.
(7) The Joining: Have a wonderful wedding ceremony where you ask God to join the two of you together in such a loving and godly way that you can never be torn apart! From start to finish the secret of marriage is to be daily led by the Holy Spirit.
When you date like a Christian, God will give you the desires of your heart because your heart’s desires will be in His perfect will for your life.
If you’re single and ready to mingle, learn to hear God’s voice as you spend time with Him in prayer and study of His Word, along with godly mentorship in the church. God promised He would lead you in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake, and marriage is included in that path. Just as surely as God saved you, He will bless you with His best!
Do you want a blessed marriage built on God’s Word?
- Repent if you have broken God’s Word in regards to dating.
- If you are single ask the Holy Spirit to lead you to date like a Christian.
- When you are in a dating relationship follow Jesus in all you do, from beginning to end!