Paul’s prayer for the people of Ephesus was that they would know God better by the wisdom and revelation given by the Holy Spirit, through Jesus. Thankfully, today the Holy Spirit is with us in the same way and is able to answer this precious prayer of Paul if we are willing to journey into the deep things of God.
Ephesians 1:15-23, “15 For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all God’s people, 16 I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. 17 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.
18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, 19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength 20 he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, 21 far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.
22 And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, 23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.”
- Faith & Love (v. 15)
- Giving Thanks in Prayer (v. 16)
- Praying for the Spirit of Wisdom & Revelation to Know God Better (v. 17)
- Praying to be Enlightened to Know God’s Hope (v. 18)
- Praying to be Enlightened to Know God’s Glorious Inheritance (v. 18)
- Praying to be Enlightened to Know God’s Power (vs. 19-20)
- Jesus, the Name Above Every Name (vs. 21)
- Jesus, the Head of the Church (v. 22)
- Jesus, the One Who Fills Everything in Every Way (v. 23)
- WISDOM: The application of knowledge; good judgment.
- REVELATION: Bring to light; make known the truth.
WISDOM AND REVELATION TO KNOW GOD BETTER & HAVE THE RIGHT WORLDVIEW
- The Trinity: The Father, Son and the Holy Spirit (Luke 3:22).
- The Gospel: Jesus’ death, burial, resurrection, ascension and second coming (Romans 1:16).
- Christ in You: Both Jews and Gentiles in Christ share in Christ’s Body and Image (Colossians 1:24-29).
- The Coming Kingdom of God: The rule and reign of Jesus upon the earth with His people as Kings and Priests (Revelation 20:6).
HOW WE EXPERIENCE AND GAIN WISDOM & REVELATION
- Receive God’s Wisdom and Revelation by Praying & Singing in Learned and Spiritual Languages: 1 Corinthians 14:14-15, “14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding.”
- Then Study God’s Word to Have Confirmed Whatever He Revealed to You: 2 Timothy 2:15 (NKJV), “Be diligent [study] to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”
- Then Begin to Meditate on God’s Word in His Promise, Directed by His Love: Psalms 48:9, “Within your temple, O God, we meditate on your unfailing love.”
- Lastly, Live it Out in Spirit-Empowered Ministry (Do it as Unto the Lord): Ephesians 2:10, “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
Proverbs 25:2, “It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.”
The Bible is full of mysteries for you to uncover!