The Kingdom of God is something we can never forget but must always keep in the forefront of our minds and hearts!
MATTHEW 6:9-13 (KJV)
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
THE KINGDOM OF GOD DEFINED
The Kingdom of God is the Father’s dominion over all creation ruled by His Son and our King, Jesus Christ, through the Holy Spirit.
OVERVIEW OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD
(1) JESUS TAUGHT TO SEEK THE KINGDOM OF GOD FIRST: Matthew 6:33, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”
(2) JESUS SPENT ALL HIS POST RESURRECTION TIME TEACHING THE KINGDOM: Acts 1:3, “After his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God.”
(3) JESUS PAID THE PRICE WITH HIS BLOOD TO BRING US INTO HIS KINGDOM: Colossians 1:13-14, “13 For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.”
(4) WE ENTER THE KINGDOM BY BEING BORN AGAIN: John 3:3, “Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”
(5) THREE ASPECTS OF THE KINGDOM
- THE KINGDOM IN HEAVEN: Psalms 103:19, “The Lord has established his throne in heaven, and his kingdom rules over all.”
- THE KINGDOM WITHIN Luke 17:20-21, “20 Once, on being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, “The coming of the kingdom of God is not something that can be observed, 21 nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is in your midst.”
- THE KINGDOM COMING: Revelation 11:15, “15 The seventh angel sounded his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, which said: “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Messiah, and he will reign for ever and ever.”
(6) SIX MAIN PARABLES ABOUT THE KINGDOM OF GOD:
- THE FARMER, THE SEED, AND FOUR TYPES OF GROUND: Matthew 13:1-23. Lesson: The kind of choice you make when hearing God’s Word determines the kind of heart you will have.
- THE WEEDS AND THE WHEAT: Matthew 13:24-30;36-43. Lesson: Those who follow God will always be surrounded by those who don’t and only God knows the difference.
- THE MUSTARD SEED: Matthew 13:31-32. Lesson: God can use the smallest amount of our faith and effort to change the world, Matthew 17:20. Mustard seed and tree.
- YEAST IN THE DOUGH: Matthew 13:33-35. Lesson: God wants all of His Kingdom to transform and impact all of your life.
- HIDDEN TREASURE & THE PEARL OF GREAT PRICE: Matthew 13:44-46. Lesson: The Kingdom of God is worth giving up everything to have.
- GOOD AND BAD FISHES: Matthew 13:47-52. Lesson: On Judgment Day God will separate the sinners from the saints.
(7) THE DISCIPLES WERE ALWAYS ASKING ABOUT THE KINGDOM:
- WHO IS THE GREATEST?: Matthew 18:1-5, “1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” 2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.”
- WHEN IS IT COMING?: Matthew 24:3, “As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”
- WHERE CAN WE SIT?: Mark 10:35-37, “35 Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him. “Teacher,” they said, “we want you to do for us whatever we ask.” 36 “What do you want me to do for you?” he asked. 37 They replied, “Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory.”
- AGAIN WHEN IS IT COMING?: Acts 1:6, “Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”
(8) TWO MAIN ASPECTS OF THE KINGDOM:
- RIGHTEOUS, PEACE & JOY: Romans 14:17, “For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.”
- POWER: 1 Corinthians 4:20, “For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.”
Revelation 1:5-6 “5… To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, 6 and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.”