The Holy Spirit is the third person in the God nature (the Trinity), yet He is often misunderstood and neglected, Matthew 28:19 & 2 Corinthians 3:17-18. However, the Bible itself could not be written without the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, Christ wouldn’t have raised from the dead, nor would any of the mighty miracles of the Bible ever have been done. Therefore, it is vastly important that today’s Christian understand the role of the Holy Spirit in their life. First, He comes to give new birth to the sinner. And second, He desires to baptize the saint with power from on high.
Born & Baptized
- John 3:3, born of the Spirit
- Matthew 3:11, baptized in the Spirit
- One is for new life, the other for new power.
- One is for the forgiveness of doing Satan’s work, the other for destroying Satan’s work.
- One is for joining the Body of Christ, the other for building the Body of Christ.
Remember, “The same spirit that birthed you wants to baptize you!”
Questions Regarding Born of the Spirit
- What is it? A spiritual rebirth, John 3:6-8
- How does one become born again? By faith in Jesus, John 3:16.
- Why should a person be born again? Because without it no one can see the Kingdom of God, John 3:3.
Questions Regarding Being Baptized in the Spirit
- What is it? An endowment of spiritual power, Acts 1:8.
- How does one become baptized in the Holy Spirit? By faith in Jesus, Acts 2:38.
- Why should a person be baptized in the Spirit? Because without it no one can operate in the miraculous power of God, Acts 2:17-18.
When Can People Be Born and Baptized in the Spirit?
- You can be born again and baptized with the Spirit at the same time, Acts 10:44-48 & Acts 19:4.
- You can be born again first and then baptized with the Spirit, (Born Again- John 20:22) & (Filled- Acts 2:1).
More Questions Regarding the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and Speaking in Tongues
- Is the baptism of the Holy Spirit still for today? Yes, Acts 2:38-39.
- How do I know I have received the baptism of the Holy Spirit? You will speak in other tongues (unlearned languages), Acts 2:1, Acts 10:44-48, & Acts 19:1-6.
- What if I don’t think speaking in tongues is my gift? Don’t be uninformed (1 Cor. 12:1), Gifts are given after the baptism of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:1, Acts 10:44-48, & Acts 19:1-6), All gifts are available to the baptized in the Holy Spirit believer (1 Cor. 12:7), Paul wished all people to speak in tongues (1 Cor. 14:5), and said to never forbid tongues (1 Cor. 14:39).
- What is the purpose of speaking in tongues? To have power to be a witness (Acts 1:8), to glorify God (Acts 2:11), to a be sign to unbelievers (1 Cor. 14:22), to build up-edify yourself (1 Cor. 14:4), to intercede for the lost (Romans 8:26), to pray and sing to God (1 Cor. 14:15), and for spiritual warfare (Eph. 6:18).
- How can I know for sure God that God will baptize me with His Spirit? God is a good Father, Luke 11:11-13.
Chart Outlining the Pattern of the Evidence of Speaking Tongues in Regards to the Baptism of the Holy Spirit
Therefore, think of tongues as the first evidence of the baptism and the gifts of the Spirit as proceeding from the baptism in the Spirit.