Just as everyone is commanded to be “born again” so is everyone called to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. Though we may all have different roles, positions, and places we preach- everyone is called to be a public witness for Jesus Christ.
Mark 3:14-15, “14 He appointed twelve that they might be with him and that he might send them out to preach 15 and to have authority to drive out demons.”
- The Gospel: The Greek word for “gospel” in the New Testament is, “euaggelion,” which simply means, “good news.” Thus, the gospel is the “good news concerning God’s glory and humanity’s salvation by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ,” Romans 1:17.
- Disciple: The Greek word for “disciple” is, “math?t?s,” and means, “student or pupil.” In regards to Jesus, a disciple is a “committed follower and student of Jesus’ teachings,” Matthew 28:19-20.
- Preach/Proclaim/Evangelize: Preach (k?russ?, Mark 3:14), Proclaim (diaggell?, Luke 9:60), and Evangelize (euaggeliz?, Acts 8:4) all basically mean the same thing- “to publicly make known the gospel.”
- Every person is commanded to be a born again disciple of Jesus Christ; John 3:3 & John 8:31-32.
- All disciples are called to preach the gospel and make new disciples; Luke 9:60, Luke 10:1-2, Mark 16:15-20, Acts 1:8, & Acts 8:4.
- The job of elders and deacons gifted in the five-fold ministries is to train all disciples for the work of the ministry in preaching the Word of God, 1 Timothy 3:1-13, Ephesians 4:11-13, & 2 Timothy 3:16-17.
- Being a public witness for Jesus with strangers is a command for all disciples! Acts 20:20 & Hebrews 13:7.
Video Depicting Two Women in Iran Who Were Arrested & Given a Death Sentence For Preaching Publicly
I believe this video not only shows the great courage of these two wonderful sisters, but also it presents a powerful challenge to every Christian to be a disciple of Christ who publicly shares the gospel.
Acts 4:29-30, “29 Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness. 30 Stretch out your hand to heal and perform signs and wonders through the name of your holy servant Jesus.”