2 Timothy 4:5, “But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.”
As an overseeing elder in the church for over 15yrs I will now share the top five excuses I have heard to not street witness over the years by fellow Christians. Plus, I will give a simple Biblical response to each one.
5. I feel if I street witness I will be like the Jehovah witnesses.
Biblical Answer: Mark 4:18-22, Jesus shows that though it was popular for Jewish teachers and philosophers to travel and publicly call people to follow their teachings, this didn’t stop Him from doing the same thing, but for His message.
4. I witness on my job and other places I feel more comfortable in. Street witnessing is just one way that I don’t like to do. Jesus would be okay with me not being a public witness as long as I witness somewhere.
Biblical Answer: Luke 4:43-44, Notice Jesus preached in the villages publicly AND in the synagogues Meaning, Jesus loved to preached everywhere, but He never neglected the streets.
3. My church and pastor don’t street witness and they are good examples for me to follow.
Biblical Answer: Luke 10:1-3, Imagine if you were with Jesus that day when He sent out the 72 in the streets, would you obey and follow His command or disobey? Would you say something like this, “Jesus, my other rabbi says I don’t have to do this- I can just preach on my job.” God forbid- it’s really that simple- choose to obey Jesus over man!
2. I’m too scared to talk to people I don’t know, I want to wait until I’m ready.
Biblical Answer: Acts 1:8 & 2:14, It is obvious by this passage and thus should be a “finisher” to all excuses concerning public witness, that the power of the Holy Spirit empowers and compels all believers to be public witnesses for Christ!
1. I’m too young! I’m too old!
Biblical Answer: 2 Timothy 4:5, The life of Timothy both while being young and old sets the perfect example for everyone to follow.
Now it’s your turn to stop making excuses and be obedient to Christ’s commands to street witness and tell the world His good news!
- Repent of any of the excuses you may have not to witness and preach the gospel.
- Pray and ask God to set your life on fire for the lost.
- Ask God to give you a heart for the lost and to be motivated to preach by love for their lost souls, Matthew 9:36.