The tithe is 10% of our total income given to God faithfully.
Genesis 4:3-7, “3 In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the Lord. 4 And Abel also brought an offering—fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering, 5 but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast. 6 Then the Lord said to Cain, Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.”
- GOD JUDGES WHAT WE OFFER TO HIM: God judged both offerings on a standard that must have been known to both of them in advance. Most likely the standard of giving was similar to the “tithe,” which was probably given to Adam by God and passed down, v. 4-5.
- EVERYONE CAN DO RIGHT: God clearly tells Cain that if he does what is right (this implies keeping the giving standard like the tithe) his gift will be accepted, v. 7a.
- DON’T LET SIN RULE OVER YOU: The opposite of doing what God commands is sin- even when it comes to giving. Thus, we are to be obedient to His standard of giving, v. 7b.
The very fact that Cain’s offering was rejected and Abel’s was accepted implies a standard like the tithe from the time of Adam and Eve.
- Resist the temptation to sin and withhold the tithe from God.
- Be a tither, always give God your best with your first fruit.