Who is the master of your life- God or money? When Jesus said you cannot serve two masters He chose to depict the greatest threat to His lordship in people’s lives as money. Why? Because money represents everything man achieves in his sinful temporal existence deriving from the pride of life, the lust of the eyes, and the evil desires of the flesh. However, God in His triune nature (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) represents everything that is divine, eternal, holy, and loving. I pray that this lesson will encourage you to serve God and store up treasures in heaven!
Matthew 6:19-24, “19 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness! 24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”
- SERMON ON THE MOUNT: The longest single portion of Jesus’ teaching found in Matthew 5-7 that serves as the foundation of Christian morality and spiritual practice. #KingdomBasics
- DISCIPLES: Born again committed students and followers of Jesus Christ.
- KINGDOM OF GOD/HEAVEN: The active rule and reign of Jesus in one’s life and upon the earth with kingdom blessings. The kingdom is all about the King!
- DON’T STORE UP EARTHLY TREASURES: Jesus taught not to solely focus on gathering earthly treasures like money, houses, and expensive things because they were temporal and could be stolen, v. 19.
- STORE UP TREASURES IN HEAVEN: Jesus said to store up heavenly treasures like good deeds and acts of charity (Matthew 6:1-4 & 25:14-26) because they last forever by being rooted in God’s everlasting Kingdom, v. 20.
- YOUR TREASURE DETERMINES WHERE YOUR HEART IS: Jesus made it clear that people are either, (a) self-serving and are storing up earthly treasure or (ii) God-serving and are storing up heavenly treasures. Accordingly, there is no “middle ground,” hence, placing one’s treasure in heaven is the way to go, v. 21.
- YOUR EYES (WANTS & DESIRES) DETERMINE THE LIGHT OF YOUR SOUL: Jesus used the eyes as a metaphor for what people want and desire in life. When Jesus’ disciples set their sights on God’s Kingdom they will be filled with the light of God’s glory. However, if one lusts after the flesh and what they see (1 John 2:15-17), they will be full of darkness and evil in the form of greed and idolatry, vs. 22-23.
- YOU CANNOT SERVE TWO MASTERS: Money represents the master of pride and thus everything sinful can basically fall under its lordship, 1 Timothy 6:10. Therefore, it is impossible to serve both God and money, v. 24.
- BE A GIVER OF TITHES & OFFERINGS: By using your earthly wealth for the Kingdom of God you both break the heart of greed and live with a humble understanding that everything is from God and for God’s purposes, Malachi 3:6-12.
- STORE UP TREASURES IN HEAVEN: Live a life of obedience to God so that when this life is over you will receive eternal rewards, Matthew 6:1-4 & 25:14-26.
- USE MONEY MONEY AS A TOOL: Change the way you “see” money by viewing it as a tool to fulfill God’s purpose upon the earth, Deuteronomy 8:18.
- KEEP JESUS AS THE MASTER OF YOUR LIFE: Grow in your faith and the grace of God, Colossians 2:6-7.