“The Sermon on the Mount ends with four warnings, each offering paired contrasts: two ways (vv. 13- 14), two [kinds of prophets] (vv. 15- 20), two claims (vv. 21- 23), and two builders (vv. 24- 27). They focus on [end time] judgment and so make it plain that the theme is still the kingdom of heaven. But if some will not enter it (vv. 13- 14, 21- 23), the sole basis for such a tragedy is [the people’s] present response to Jesus ‘words.” (Excerpt from Expositor’s Bible Commentary). Today’s sermon is on the wise and foolish builders.
Matthew 7:24-28, “24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” 28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.”
- SERMON ON THE MOUNT: The longest single portion of Jesus’ teaching found in Matthew 5-7 that serves as the foundation of Christian morality and spiritual practice. #KingdomBasics
- DISCIPLES: Born again committed students and followers of Jesus Christ.
- KINGDOM OF GOD/HEAVEN: The active rule and reign of Jesus in one’s life and upon the earth with kingdom blessings. The kingdom is all about the King!
- WISE BUILDERS PUT JESUS’ WORDS INTO PRACTICE AND THEIR HOUSES DON’T FALL (vs. 24-25): Jesus gave a simple, yet powerful, illustration on what it’s like when people practice His teachings- they are like wise men who build their houses on a rock and when the storms come their house still stands. Obviously, the “rock/foundation” represents Jesus and His Word, and the “house” being built is our lives, and the “storm” with its rain, streams, and wind are the troubles of life.
- FOOLISH BUILDERS DON’T PRACTICE JESUS’ WORDS AND THEIR HOUSES CRASH (vs. 26-27): Foolish people (Greek, “moros,” where we get the English word, “moron”), those who lack wisdom and are “dumb on purpose,” choose to simply only listen to Jesus’ words and not put them into practice. So in the end their lives fall apart just like a house built on sand and it is entirely their own fault. Also see James 1:22-25.
- DISCIPLES ARE AMAZED AT JESUS’ TEACHINGS & AUTHORITY (vs. 28-29): Today, just like in Jesus’ day, when we truly listen and understand what He spoke we should be blown away by His divine teaching and Kingly authority!
SERMON ON THE MOUNT SUMMARY
- Eight Beatitudes // Having the Right Attitudes of the Kingdom, Matthew 5:3-12.
- Salt & Light // The Disciple’s Prominent Role in the Kingdom, Matthew 5:13-16.
- Jesus Fulfilling the Old Testament Law // The New Law of Christ in the Kingdom, Matthew 5:17-20.
- Murder & Anger // Managing Strong Emotions in the Kingdom, Matthew 5:21-26.
- Lust & Adultery // Living Pure Sexual Lives in the Kingdom, Matthew 5:27-30.
- Divorce & ReMarriage // Having Godly Marriages in the Kingdom, Matthew 5:31-32.
- Oaths & Vows // Keeping Your Word in the Kingdom, Matthew 5:33-37.
- Justice & Forgiveness // Loving Your Enemies in the Kingdom, Matthew 5:38-48.
- Giving to the Needy // Helping the Poor in the Kingdom, Matthew 6:1-4.
- Praying & Fasting // Communicating with God in the Kingdom, Matthew 6:5-18.
- Storing Treasures // Having Treasures in the Kingdom, Matthew 6:19-24.
- Worry // Not Worrying in the Kingdom, Matthew 6:25-34.
- Judging // Judging Correctly in the Kingdom, Matthew 7:1-6.
- Ask, Seek, & Knock // Preserving in Prayer in the Kingdom, Matthew 7:7-12.
- Two Kinds of Gates // Choosing the Narrow Gate to Enter the Kingdom, Matthew 7:13-14.
- Two Kinds of Prophets // Following God’s Prophets in the Kingdom, Matthew 7:16-20.
- Two Kinds of Disciples // Being a Faithful Disciple in the Kingdom, Matthew 7:21-23.
- Two Kinds of Builders // Building Your Life on Jesus’ Teachings in the Kingdom, Matthew 7:24-29.
- Put all of Jesus’ words into practice, especially the teaching of the, “Sermon on the Mount.”
- Don’t be foolish and only hear Jesus’ teachings- listen and obey.
- Honor and respect Jesus’ teachings and authority in your everyday life.