Drug use and addictions have become more of a challenge in modern society because of the ease of acquiring whatever one longs for. Therefore, today like never before with the rise of legal marijuana use in the U.S., Christians need to understand what things are lawful in God’s eyes and what is sinful. Also, disciples need to be reminded how to live with self-control in every area of their life.
2 Timothy 4:1-5, “1 In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: 2 Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage —with great patience and careful instruction. 3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. 5 But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.”
TODAY’S SERMON TEXT
Proverbs 25:28, “Like a city whose walls are broken through is a person who lacks self-control.”
DRUG & ADDICTION STATS
- Over 57 million Americans, 22% of the population, are cigarette smokers.
- Over 17 million Americans, 6.8% have alcohol related addictions.
- Over 4.3 million Americans met clinical criteria for dependence or abuse of marijuana.
- Over 2.1 million are addicted to pain pills. (Source)
DRUGS & ADDICTIONS IN THE BIBLE
- GALATIANS 5:19-21: “The acts of the flesh are obvious:sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft (pharmakeia)… and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.”
- REVELATION 9:20-21: “20 The rest of mankind who were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshiping demons, and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood—idols that cannot see or hear or walk. 21 Nor did they repent of their murders, their magic arts (pharmakeia), their sexual immorality or their thefts.”
- WITCHCRAFT/SORCERY: The Greek word that is used for witchcraft/sorcery is, “pharmakeia” which means, “to administer drugs or spells” and is where we get the English word, “pharmacy” from.
- ADDICTIONS: 1 Corinthians 6:12, “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but I will not be mastered by anything.”
- TWO SINS- DRUGS & ADDICTIONS: (A) Anytime a person uses drugs (meant for medicine) as a form of recreation effecting their sobriety (1 Peter 5:8) they are committing the sin of “witchcraft/sorcery,” Galatians 5:20. (B) Anytime a person becomes addicted to a lawful substance (tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, etc.) it is the sin of “lacking self-control,” Proverbs 25:8.
FREEDOM IN JESUS
John 8:31-36, “31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 33 They answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?” 34 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”
- Believe in Jesus and receive salvation.
- Be a committed disciple that knows and holds to the teachings (commands) of Jesus.
- Allow the truth, empowered by the Holy Spirit, to set (make) you free.
- Live the rest of your life in the freedom of Jesus Christ!
- TEEN CHALLENGE: The best Christian drug and alcohol recovery program for men, women, and teens in the nation, http://teenchallengeusa.com
- ONLINE: Bible study and resources for overcoming addictions, click here.
John 8:36, “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”