Today the greatest display of God’s love and nature can be seen in a happy and healthy family. Since the devil knows this as well, he tries to destroy the family and bring death instead of life and he tries to bring hurt and pain instead of joy and healing. This sermon is aimed at guarding you from falling into the traps of the enemy and safeguarding you and your family so that you might experience the abundant life of God in your home! God loves your family!
Ephesians 3:16-20, “16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.”
- BIBLICAL FAMILY: By God’s definition the primary definition of a family is a, “Mother and Father with children and their extended relatives (aunts, cousins, etc.).” Genesis 16:2, notice that Sarai considered children to be what makes a family. In a broader sense (still acceptable from a biblical standpoint), a family can include, “single parents (including widows) and married couples.” Acts 7:14, consider how Stephen combined Jacob’s daughter-in-laws and grandchildren to be part of his one family.
- REDEFINITION: The act of giving a new definition. Specifically, in regards to “family,” our culture is trying to redefine “family” to include, “couples living together without being married,” and “homosexuality.”
- FOUNDATION: Something that provides support for something else. Families built up on God’s principles are the foundation of a prosperous civilization. Genesis 1:28.
STATS & FACTS
(1) HETEROSEXUAL MARRIAGE STATS
- The average age for women getting married is 27yrs old and men is 29 (record high in the U.S.)- compared to 23/26yrs old in 1990 and 20/22yrs old in 1960.
- The marriage rate in the U.S. is at an all time low, 31% (record low) and was the highest in 1920 with over 91%.
- The alarming low marriage rate among 25-34yrs old, has led to record highs in “co-habitation” and “single parenting.”
- The divorce rate in America for first marriage is 41%, second marriage is 60%, and third marriage is 73%.
(2) HETEROSEXUAL FAMILY STATS
- For the first time in U.S. history the median age of American women having babies is lower than the median age of marriage, 25.7 years old for first baby and 26.5 years old for marriage.
- Currently, 48% of first births are by unwed mothers (up from 25% in 1988 and 11% in 1979).
- It is predicted that the majority of children will be born to parents who are not married by 2016.
- Therefore, because of the low marriage rate with pregnancies over 1 million abortions occur each year (murdering of innocent lives).
- Single parent families make up 35% of all families with African American family’s at 67% and Hispanic’s at 42%.
- Since most single parent homes are led by mothers, children are growing up without their father present and have to face many obstacles such as; higher crime rate, greater emotional instability, likely hood of lower grades, and teen pregnancy.
(3) HOMOSEXUAL FAMILY STATS
- The average homosexual man has between 20-106 partners per year compared to the average heterosexual only having 8 partners in a lifetime.
- 43% of white male homosexuals had sex with 500 or more partners, 78% of homosexuals are affected by STDs, and though only 2% of U.S. population is gay the lifestyle accounts for 61% of all HIV infections (AIDS).
- A 2011 study showed that domestic violence rates among same-sex couples were upward of twice as high as those of opposite-sex couples.
- Children raised by lesbian mothers were 10x more likely and those raised by homosexuals were 3x more likely to have been touched sexually by a parent or other adult caregiver compared to just 2% of children raised by their married biological parents.
Ephesians 3:14-15, “14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name.”
PRACTICAL ADVICE FOR EVERYONE
- SINGLE WITHOUT KIDS: General Advice: Love God, be the right kind of person that the opposite sex would want to marry, live holy, be patient, and serve the Lord while waiting for your spouse. Avoid: Feeling sorry for yourself, living in sin, and wasting your time.
- SINGLE WITH KIDS: General Advice: Love God, put your kids above anyone else, raise your children in church while you serve, be the right kind of person that the opposite sex would want to marry, live holy, be patient, and serve the Lord while waiting for your spouse. Avoid: Being overwhelmed, depressed, or bitter.
- MARRIED WITHOUT KIDS: General Advice: Love God, enjoy the time you have together, plan your family on God’s schedule, and use your extra time and income for savings and Kingdom investments. Avoid: Planning a family your way, being selfish, and fighting over small things.
- MARRIED WITH KIDS: General Advice: Love God, continue to build a strong marriage, raise your children in church while you serve, be shrewd in how you spend money, and plan wisely for the future. Avoid: The worries of life, being too busy, and letting your marriage suffer.
TWO THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT GOD’S HEART FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY
- God doesn’t want you to ever attempt having a family without Him, Luke 14:25-27.
- God always wants you to represent Him well to your family- especially to your children, Mark 9:42-43.
When your family bows before God you will have His blessings, dominion, and prosperity in your home!