The feelings of fear can effect everyone in one way or another. Whether it’s someone being afraid of flying, a nervousness before an import day at work, or a mother that can’t sleep until her child comes home. Fear is always around us. Though fear is a natural feeling, for many it has become crippling and even life threatening. The Bible has much to say about conquering fear that is why today’s sermon is aimed at teaching you to “fear not” because God is with you!
Isaiah 41:10, “Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
- FEAR: A distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or not.
- DISMAYED: To be discouraged and anxious.
- FEAR OF THE LORD: An awareness of the greatness of God and that one day He will judge the human race in righteousness and with finality, Proverbs 8:13. For the Christian, they do not fear punishment because they know God loves them, but they still respect God’s laws and honor Him, 1 John 4:18 & Revelation 15:4. For the sinner, they should fear God’s punishment because they are without Jesus, Romans 1:18.
- FEELING FEAR vs. ACTING IN FEAR: It is natural in many circumstance to “feel” fear. For example: in war, sky diving, or in other kinds of danger. However, “acting” in fear by shrinking back, running away, or being unable to perform a positive action is not beneficial.
- FAITH: Faith is the opposite of fear. Faith is trusting God in the midst of troubling situations, no matter what others may think or how your body feels, Hebrews 11:1-6.
ROOT OF FEAR
CYCLE OF FEAR
*Taken from Rhonda Britten’s book, Fearless Living. (Note: Though she is not a Christian, she has many good insights.)
LIVING FREE FROM FEAR BY FAITH
SEVEN ENCOURAGING VERSES
- Psalm 23:4, “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”
- 2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV), “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”
- Psalm 34:4-5, “4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. 5 Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.”
- Joshua 1:9, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
- Psalm 94:19, “When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.”
- Matthew 6:33-34, “33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
- Romans 8:37-39, “37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
*For more verses, click here.
- Joyce Meyers books, Do it Afraid!, Straight Talk on Fear, and Straight Talk on Worry. Also, her T.V. shows.
- John Osteen’s youtube videos on fear (he is totally different from his son Joel), Facing the Future Without Fear, Results of Fear, and He Hath Said.
- Freedom From Fear, by Neil Anderson.
- Chicago Christian Counseling Center, a great place for Christian based support.
- The Fear Not website and Facebook page releases a “fear not” related verse 365 days a year!
Matthew 14:27, “But Jesus immediately said to them:“Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”