Humility is more than just a “good thing” to do in Christianity, it is essential for everything pertaining to Christianity. Without humility nothing can be achieved or received from God, especially salvation.
Furthermore, if someone doesn’t have humility they are in pride and are actually committing the highest form of sin against God. It was the sin of pride that led to the demise of Satan, Adam and Eve, and every other tragedy in the Bible. Therefore, today’s sermon will teach you how to be truly humble so that you can receive grace both now and forevermore.
Ephesians 2:8-10, “8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith— and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
GRACE & HUMILITY DEFINED
- GRACE is God’s undeserved favor, love, help and enablement made available through Jesus Christ and given to believers by the presence of the Holy Spirit. Because of God’s grace, we can experience his mercy, forgiveness and the power to fulfill God’s purpose for our lives. (Fire Study Bible).
- HUMILITY is a submitted attitude towards both God and man in which a person rightly knows their identity, the commands they are to obey, and the life they are to live.
HUMILITY ONE LINERS
- You need to go down, if you wanna go up!
- If you want to be first, you need to be last!
- The greatest leaders are the servants of all!
- Pride comes before the fall and humility comes before success!
- Humility is neither self-abasing nor self-adorning, it is knowing who you are in Christ and doing what He said you could do!
1 Peter 5:5-7, “5 In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but shows favor [grace] to the humble.” 6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”
WHAT PETER DECLARES HUMILITY LOOKS LIKE
- WITH ELDERS: Peter calls for a submission to the elders in verse five when he writes, “submit yourselves to your elders,” because God speaks and moves through the leaders He has appointed in the church, Hebrews 13:17.
- WITH ONE ANOTHER: He also writes in verse five, “all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another,” because God opposes the proud but shows favor (grace) to the humble in all that they do, Psalm 84:11.
- WITH GOD: Lastly, Peter writes in verse six, “humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand,” so that He might lift you up in due time and carry your cares, John 1:16-17.
Luke 2:40, “And the child grew and became strong; he was filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was on him.”