The Kingdom of God encompasses the entire narrative of the Bible and the eternal plan of God. Even before the creation of the universe the Kingdom of God was essential in heaven with the angels and the three persons of the Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit).
Likewise, the Kingdom of God was what man lost in the Garden of Eden and what Jesus came to restore at the cross. Today’s sermon will give the foundation for a powerful and relevant series on this magnificent subject in which all creation longs to behold in its fullness.
Matthew 6:9b-13 (KJV), “9 Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.”
THE KINGDOM OF GOD DEFINED
The Kingdom of God or the Kingdom of Heaven is God’s kingly rule through Jesus Christ over all creation and people (Lexham Bible Dictionary).
THREE ASPECTS OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD
- THE KINGDOM THERE: This is where the Father and Son sit on thrones in heaven and receive worship from the angels and the saints who have gone on before us, Isaiah 6:1-4 & John 12:41.
- THE KINGDOM HERE: Jesus spoke about the Kingdom of God coming inside the hearts of men at their rebirth and thus it is not only physical in nature but also spiritual, Luke 17:21 & John 3:3.
- THE KINGDOM COMING: John referred to this future time when God would literally come to earth and Jesus would make us His “kings and priests,” Revelation 5:9-10.
THREE BENEFITS OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD
- RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD: The entrance into the Kingdom is through new birth and the new birth is for the purpose of adoption, John 3:3.
- ULTIMATE POWER: All of God’s resources and abilities are in His Kingdom, 1 Corinthians 4:20.
- RIGHTEOUSNESS, PEACE, & JOY: The attributes of wholeness and wellbeing are only found in the Kingdom, Romans 14:17.
The Kingdom of God is all about Jesus, the King, who came and gave His life so that the people who once rejected His kingship could once again be made His prized possession.