Abiding in Jesus is one of the most important foundations of the Christian faith. It incorporates all the important doctrines of the disciple’s identity and purpose in God’s Kingdom. Therefore, our connection to Jesus as the True Vine will determine our eternal destiny and relationship with God.
John 15:1-10 (NKJV), “1 I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. 8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.
9 “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. 10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.”
- ALLEGORY: A literary device that communicates ideas and concepts in pictorial terms derived from the world.
- TRUE VINE: Jesus.
- VINEDRESSER: The Father.
- BRANCHES: Jesus’ disciples.
- FRUIT: Everything good that God promises from a life of obedience:
- Fruit of the Spirit, Galatians 5:22-23.
- Success in ministry, Colossians 1:6.
- Good works, Matthew 3:8; 7:16-20 & Colossians 1:10.
- Prosperity, Psalm 1:3.
- Wisdom, Proverbs 10:31.
- PRUNE: To cut off.
- ABIDE: To remain, stay, reside.
LOVE = OBEDIENCE TO JESUS COMMANDS
- LOVE GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART: Put nothing before God. Not false religion, your job, family, or even your own life with your dreams and ambitions, Luke 14:26-27.
- LOVE PEOPLE AS YOURSELF: Always forgive, treat others the way you would want to be treated, be a Good Samaritan, and pray and preach the Gospel for all to be saved.
Matthew 22:37-38, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
For a complete list of the New Testament’s 1,050 commands, click here!
Abiding in Jesus is based on His love for us and the love we have for Him. Our love cannot be shallow, rather it must be evidenced by our obedience to His commands!