Since the time of creation God’s people have been practicing scripture memorization and spiritual meditation. It is only in our modern era that many disciples have forgotten the importance of being still before God and abiding in His Words.
As a result, many false religions and new age techniques have come in and stolen the attention away from God’s original plan for peace. Today’s sermon is aimed at teaching you how to apply this ancient practice in your life with practical steps so you can daily abide in Jesus’ Words!
John 15:1-10 (NKJV), “1 I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser [gardner]. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. 8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.
9 “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. 10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.”
SEVEN BENEFITS OF SCRIPTURE MEMORIZATION
- INCREASED FAITH: The Word will build your faith, Romans 10:17.
- FREEDOM FROM SIN: The Word will keep you from sin, Psalm 119:11-16.
- SOUND MIND: The Word will guard your heart and mind from anxiety, Philippians 4:6-8.
- ANSWERED PRAYERS: The Word will give you answers to your prayers, John 15:7-8.
- POWER TO PREACH: The Word will enable you to preach at anytime, Acts 2:15-21.
- PROSPERITY: The Word will prosper you in all your ways, Psalm 1:1-3.
- LEADERSHIP: The Word will enable you to instruct others, Proverbs 16:23.
Psalm 4:4 (NKJV), “Be angry, and do not sin. Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still. Selah.”
- DEFINITION: The act of focusing one’s thoughts: to ponder, think on, muse. Meditation consists of reflective thinking or contemplation, usually on a specific subject to discern its meaning or significance or a plan of action. (Excerpt from, “Biblical Meditation”).
- BIBLICAL EXAMPLES: Isaac, Genesis 24:63; Joshua, Joshua 1:8; Sons of Korah, Psalm 48:9, & David, Psalm 119:15.
- PRACTICAL WAYS TO MEDITATE (10-30min):
- Find a quiet place.
- Sit comfortably and settle your mind and body (controlled breathing is helpful).
- Focus your thoughts on one verse or passage at a time.
- Read it out loud until you memorize it.
- Then repeat it from memory until it becomes easy.
- Pray the verse and incorporate it into worship.
- Relax and rest in the presence of God by visualizing the things of God.
- NATURAL BENEFITS: The benefits of meditating and Scripture memorization are amazing!
- PHYSICALLY: Lowers blood pressure, stress, decreases pain, reduces anxiety and depression, and builds the immune system, source. Recommended, “Relaxation Revolution,” Dr. Herbert Benson.
- MENTALLY: Those who memorize and meditate on Scripture over a period of time are more happy and mentally healthier with their relationship with God. Survey done by Dr. Meier with seminary students over three years, “Renewing Your Mind in a Secular World.” As a matter of fact Dr. Meier’s study showed that those who were the most unhappy in life and had the most significant mental health issues did not make any time to meditate and memorize Scripture! Those who had the best results had made a practice of it for a minimum of three years (though the benefits came quickly the life long stability took years of daily practice).
John 15:7-8, “7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. 8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.”