All of us desire to be chosen and accepted by those who love us, especially by our family. The same is true with our relationship with God. No matter the religion, people have a simple desire to be chosen and accepted by their Creator. Sadly, even in many Christian churches, people do not know what it means to be chosen by God.
In some cases people think that God just randomly chooses to love some and hate others (“Calvinism”). While others wrongly think they have to earn the love of God as if they were earning “reward points” with their credit cards (“Roman Catholicism”).
However, both the passive fatalist and the aggressive superstitious seeker are wrong. God invites all to be chosen, but only those who respond to His love in faith are in fact chosen. Therefore, I pray today that you willing accept God’s invitation and become chosen to bear fruit for the glory of the Father!
John 15:12-17, “12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.
16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit— fruit that will last— and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. 17 This is my command: Love each other.”
(I) CHOSEN FOR LOVE – JOHN 15:12
- GOD’S LOVE INVITES EVERYONE TO SALVATION, BUT NOT EVERYONE IS CHOSEN TO RECEIVE IT: Matthew 22:1-14.
- MANY ARE INVITED (CALLED) BUT FEW ARE CHOSEN: “The open invitation to spiritual salvation goes out to everyone–the “many.” However, relatively few respond to that invitation, turn from their own way and follow Christ. Those who do are “chosen” to inherit the kingdom. Responding to God’s gracious invitation by the free exercise of our will makes us part of God’s chosen people.” (Fire Study Bible).
- WE ARE GOD’S TREASURED POSSESSIONS: Deuteronomy 14:2 & 1 Peter 2:9-10.
- WE ARE TO LOVE OTHERS AS GOD HAS LOVED US: 1 John 3:16-17.
(II) CHOSEN FOR FRIENDSHIP – JOHN 15:15
- IN THE OLD TESTAMENT ONLY A FEW WERE CHOSEN TO BE GOD’S FRIEND: Exodus 33:11 (Moses) & James 2:23 (Abraham).
- FRIENDS OF GOD BY FAITH, NOT BY WORKS: James declared that Abraham received the favor of God not because of his religious works, by rather he became a friend of God by believing what God said to be true (“by faith”). Thus, afterward he showed that he was in reality God’s friend by his obedience (“faith without works is dead”).
- TODAY ALL WHO LOVE JESUS ARE GOD’S FRIEND AND THEY SHOW IT BY LOVING OTHERS AND OBEYING JESUS’ COMMANDS: John 15:14-15.
(III) CHOSEN FOR BEARING FRUIT – JOHN 15:16
- BEAR GOOD FRUIT: Everything good that God promises from a life of obedience:
- Fruit of the Spirit, Galatians 5:22-23.
- Success in ministry, Colossians 1:6.
- Good works, Matthew 3:8; 7:16-20 & Colossians 1:10.
- Prosperity, Psalm 1:3.
- Wisdom, Proverbs 10:31.
- CHOSEN TO BEAR FRUIT AT MPI CHURCH: If those whom God has called to be planted at MPI church chose by faith to be God’s loving friend they will be chosen to bear fruit as a “disciple that makes disciples!”
Jesus has chosen you to go and bear fruit— fruit that will last!