Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil and give everyone a new life. Salvation is the term used to describe being rescued from the devil’s destruction and being born again (1 Peter 1:9). Today we will learn that when we were saved by grace through faith in Jesus, we were saved completely and given a brand new life!
John 10:10 (AMP), “The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows).”
THE THIEF vs. THE SON OF GOD
- THE THIEF: Also, known as Satan (the devil), comes to:
- Steal: To rob and take from humanity our relationship with God, Genesis 3:3-4.
- Kill: To put to death all of mankind’s God-given purposes, plans, and hopes, 1 Peter 5:8.
- Destroy: To bring humanity to hell and the lake of fire with him and his fallen angels, Matthew 25:41.
- THE SON OF GOD: Jesus, came to:
- Give Life: The same way Jesus breathed into Adam and made him a living spiritual soul, through the rebirth, the soul is made spiritually alive once again! (Genesis 2:7 & John 1:4; 3:16)
- Enable us to Enjoy Life: Jesus’ new life is not just a “belief,” but rather it is an actual experience of immense inner joy and pleasure. (Psalm 16:11 & Romans 14:17)
- Supply an Abundant Life: The life of God is complete, overflowing, and lacking no good thing! (Ephesians 1:3 & 2 Peter 1:3)
“Jesus’ promise of abundant life, which begins already in the here and now, brings to mind OT prophecies about abundant blessing [found in] Ezekiel 34). Jesus calls his followers, not to a [gloomy], lifeless, miserable existence that squashes human potential, but to a rich, full, joyful life, one overflowing with meaningful activities under the personal favor and blessing of God and in continual fellowship with his people.” (ESV Study Bible)
THE NEW YOU IS REALLY NEW!
SCRIPTURAL PROOF OF COMPLETE SALVATION
- Ezekiel 36:26-27, “26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.”
- Matthew 5:48, “Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”
- John 8:31-32,34-36, “31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 34 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”
- John 15:3, “You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.”
- Romans 8:1-2, “1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.”
- 1 Corinthians 6:11, “And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:17, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!”
- 2 Corinthians 5:21, “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.”
- Ephesians 2:8-10, “8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.”
- 1 Peter 1:15-16, “15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”
- 2 Peter 1:3-4, “3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.”
- 1 John 1:6-7, “6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.”
- 1 John 2:5-6, “5 But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: 6 Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.”
- 1 John 3:8-9, “8 The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. 9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.”
The new life that Jesus gives at salvation is abundant, overflowing and powerful! No one who receives it can ever be the same again- all the old passes away and behold the new has come!