Today many Christians believe living free from all sin seems to be too good to be true (John 8:11). Also, some pastors and church leaders even teach that sin in the believer’s life is normative and that freedom (if at all possible) is gradual and takes continual “self-effort.”
However, Jesus taught that freedom from all sin was the default position of all true disciples (John 8:36). Also, He taught that living in sin was actually evidence that a person was an offspring of Satan (John 8:44). Therefore, Jesus’ new life that is given at salvation is a life of total freedom (1 John 3:8-10).
John 10:10 (AMP), “The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows).”
SLAVES OF SIN vs. SONS OF GOD
John 8:31-47 (NKJV), “31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” 33 They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say, ‘You will be made free’?”
34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.
37 “I know that you are Abraham’s descendants, but you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you. 38 I speak what I have seen with My Father, and you do what you have seen with your father.”
39 They answered and said to Him, “Abraham is our father.” Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would do the works of Abraham. 40 But now you seek to kill Me, a Man who has told you the truth which I heard from God. Abraham did not do this. 41 You do the deeds of your father.” Then they said to Him, “We were not born of fornication; we have one Father — God.”
42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me. 43 Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it. 45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me. 46 Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me? 47 He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.
HOW TO LIVE FREE ACCORDING TO JESUS
- BELIEVE IN JESUS: “To those Jews who had believed him,” v. 31.
- ABIDE IN JESUS’ TEACHINGS: “If you abide in my word,” v. 31.
- BE JESUS’ DISCIPLE: “You are my disciples indeed,” v. 31.
- KNOW JESUS’ TRUTH: “You shall know the truth,” v. 32.
- BE MADE FREE: “The truth shall make you free,” v. 32.
STAND FAST IN YOUR FREEDOM
OVERCOMING EIGHT MAJOR TEMPTATIONS
- SEXUAL PERVERSION: Galatians 5:19 & 1 John 2:16.
- Sexual actions outside of marriage including oral sex, homosexuality, and masturbation.
- Lust in the form of dirty thoughts.
- EVIL ENTERTAINMENT: Psalm 119:37 & Philippians 4:8.
- Excessive sin, vulgarity, and glorification of evil in TV, music, and movies.
- Pornography, perverse movies, and indecent TV.
- LOVE OF MONEY: 1 Timothy 6:10 & Matthew 6:24.
- Prideful, selfish, and greedy.
- Not a tither, putting money before God, and stingy.
- FALSE RELIGION & WITCHCRAFT: Galatians 5:20 & 1 John 4:1.
- False prophets, teachers, and religions.
- Astrology, palm readings, and involvement in the occult.
- ANGER & UNFORGIVENESS: Matthew 6:15 & James 1:19.
- Bitter, unable to forgive, and slanderous.
- Outbursts of rage, disrespectful, and cursing.
- UNGODLINESS & ADDICTION: Titus 2: 11-12 & 1 Corinthians 10: 23.
- Drug use, drunkenness, ungodly friends, lying, stealing, cheating, and committing crimes.
- Addicted to food, social media, shopping, etc.
- FEAR & WORRY: Proverbs 29:25 & Revelation 21:8.
- Fearing what people think about you and trying to please man, rather than God.
- Fearful of trusting God and following all His commands.
- REBELLION: 1 Samuel 15:23 & Hebrews 13:17.
- Bad attitude towards leadership and lack of honor.
- Defensive when corrected, complaining spirit, and unwilling to submit to godly discipline.
If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free… therefore, if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.