Now is the time to be who God made us to be (disciples of Christ) and to do what Jesus did (make new disciples)!
1 Corinthians 9:24-27, “24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”
SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINES DEFINITION: The commands and practices a disciple “show” in their life to “grow” spiritually because they “know” God.
TWELVE SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINES:
- Bible Reading
- Family Order
- Scripture Memorization
- Soul Journaling
- Praying & Worshipping
- Discipleship & Christlikeness
- Christian Service
- Public Evangelism
- Spiritual Meditation
- Financial Stewardship
- Christian Fellowship
- Church Involvement
COMMAND FOR DISCIPLESHIP: Matthew 28:18-20, “18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
DEFINITION OF DISCIPLESHIP: To be taught and trained to live like Jesus.
FOURTEEN DUTIES OF DISCIPLESHIP:
- Come and Follow Jesus, Matthew 4:18-19.
- Deny Yourself, Matthew 16:24-27.
- Don’t Look Back, Luke 9:57-62.
- Put No One Before Jesus, Luke 14:26-27.
- Count the Cost, Luke 14:28-33.
- Obey All of Jesus’ Teachings, John 14:15.
- Read & Study the Bible, 2 Timothy 3:16-17.
- Live a Life of Prayer & Worship to God, 1 Thessalonians 5:17 & John 4:23-24.
- Be Committed to the Church, Hebrews 10:25.
- Stay Accountable, James 5:16.
- Be a Public Witness for Christ, Acts 1:8.
- Operate in the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, 1 Corinthians 14:1.
- Pursue Leadership, 1 Timothy 3:1 & Ephesians 4:11-13.
- Never Give Up, Galatians 6:9.
COMMAND FOR CHRISTLIKENESS: Ephesians 4:22-24, “22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.”
DEFINITION OF CHRISTLIKENESS: To reflect the image of God in your daily life.
GREAT VERSES TO CONSIDER:
- WE ARE LIKE JESUS: 1 John 4:17, “This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus.”
- JESUS IS FULL OF LOVE & COMPASSION: Psalm 86:15, “But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.”
THREE PRACTICAL WAYS TO DO DISCIPLESHIP & BE CHRISTLIKE
- VISION: Love God and people!
- STRATEGY: Connect, mentor, & send.
- GOAL: Work towards 100,000 disciples with 50 churches in Chicago and 500 around the world!
Imagine if everyone here became a disciple that makes one new disciple a year for the next ten years. Starting now in 2016 with 150 registered disciples.
- 2017: 300
- 2018: 600
- 2019: 1,200
- 2020: 2,400
- 2021: 4,800
- 2022: 9,600
- 2023: 19,200
- 2024: 38,400
- 2025: 76,800
- 2026: 153,600