In the introduction to Ephesus Paul was quick to acknowledge the great faithfulness to Jesus and love for God’s people the saints had at Ephesus. Their good fruit was reliably reported back to him by trusted leaders and he had witnessed it first hand in his travels and mission work in their region. Oh to God, that all disciples of Christ would have the same reputation of faithfulness to God and love for His church!
Ephesians 1:15-23, “15 For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all God’s people, 16 I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. 17 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.
18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, 19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength 20 he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, 21 far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.
22 And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, 23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.”
- Faith & Love (v. 15)
- Giving Thanks & Making Requests in Prayer (v. 16)
- Praying for the Spirit of Wisdom & Revelation to Know God Better (v. 17)
- Praying to be Enlightened to Know God’s Hope (v. 18)
- Praying to be Enlightened to Know God’s Glorious Inheritance (v. 18)
- Praying to be Enlightened to Know God’s Power (vs. 19-20)
- Jesus, the Name Above Every Name (vs. 21)
- Jesus, the Head of the Church (v. 22)
- Jesus, the One Who Fills Everything in Every Way (v. 23)
- FAITH: Trusting in God’s character and promises (Greek, pistis).
- LOVE: Strong affection that results in proximity, selflessness and sacrifice (Greek, agape).
FAITH IN THE LORD JESUS
- MONEY & CULTURE: The saints at Ephesus were faithful to Jesus over their money and culture (Acts 19:19, “six million dollars of scrolls was burned”).
- PERSECUTION: They were faithful despite persecution (Acts 19:23-41).
- FALSE TEACHERS: They were faithful to Jesus, even when Paul left them and false teachers arose (Acts 20:18-38).
LOVE FOR ALL GOD’S PEOPLE
- LEADERS: They loved their church leaders (Acts 20:37-38 & Ephesians 6:21-22).
- ENCOURAGEMENT: They love to encourage each other by singing songs (Ephesians 5:19).
- FAMILY: They loved their families (Ephesus 5:21-6:4).
- EQUALITY: They loved to treat each other equally, both master and servant (Ephesians 6:5-9).
- SERVING: They loved to serve others like Jesus did (1 Timothy 3:13).
- CHARITABLE: They loved to help widows and those in need (1 Timothy 5:3).
- GENEROUS: They loved to financially support their church (1 Timothy 5:17-18).
Has the world seen your faithfulness to Jesus and love for God’s people?