Consider these two passages by Paul with my notes in brackets;
- Galatians 5:24-25, “24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires [your brain and its natural instincts in the body]. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit [in your mind; with your spiritual soul].”
- Ephesians 4:22-24, “22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self [your sinful mind that followed your cursed brain and it’s fleshly desires], which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires [know known as, “deceptive brain messages”]; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds [new in your spiritual soul]; 24 and to put on the new self [the new born again spiritual soul- with a new mind, will and emotions], created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.”
Note the following:
- In both Galatians and Ephesians Paul said the flesh has “passion and deceitful desires.”
- In Galatians the flesh is to be considered dead so you can live by the Spirit and in Ephesians you are to take it off and to be made new in your mind.
- Therefore, the born again spiritual soul, with the mind of Christ, must put to death and count dead the brain (the central part of the flesh; along with the body’s five senses). This was Paul’s point.
Practical Application with Modern Neurology:
- Leading OCD specialist and Neurologist, Dr. jeffrey Schwartz, notes in his book, You are Not Your Brain, that the number one factor in helping people with mental illness is to teach them they are not their brain. The second most important thing he teaches them is that they, with their mind, can change the wiring of their physical brain (known as, “neuroplasticity“).
- When a Christian goes one step further and becomes born again, they now have the power of the Holy Spirit in their spiritual soul to not only renew the mind, but change the brain in the process and so doing making it obedient to God’s commands.
- Therefore, the Christian, who is born again in their spiritual soul can control and rewire their brain (flesh) and make it obedient to God’s Word.
Romans 12:1-2, “1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”