Everyone is building their life on something, build your life on the Word of God!
- RENEW YOUR MIND: Romans 12:1-2, “1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
- DEFEND THE GOSPEL: 1 Peter 3:15-16, “15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer (apologia) to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.”
- DEMOLISH DEMONIC STRONGHOLDS: 2 Corinthians 10:3-5, “3 For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. 4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.”
- WORLDVIEW: How you see the world and give an explanation for everything you believe.
- A BIBLICAL WORLDVIEW: Seeing the world through the lens of God and His Word (2 Timothy 3:16-17).
- Axiom: God exists and has revealed the Bible (sixty-six books) as the foundation for all truth and knowledge.
- Presuppositions: The Word of God gives the following six categories of knowledge; “God, creation, humanity, Jesus, salvation, and judgment.”
- Propositions: All implications derived from good biblical exegesis and deductive logic.
- Best Guesses: All claims based in induction; the scientific method and experience.
- EXAMPLE OF USING THE BIBLICAL WORLDVIEW IN REGARDS TO HOMOSEXUALITY: “Since God’s Word is my foundation (axiom) for all truth and knowledge I presuppose that God has an order for sexuality and make the proposition that it’s a sin and people who act in such a way will perish based on 1 Timothy 1:8-11.
Check our Presuppositional Apologetics Class for more information.
JESUS’ WORDS ARE OUR FOUNDATION
Matthew 7:24-27, “24 Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
THE SAND OF SCIENCE & EXPERIENCE
Science, based on the inductive method (reasoning from the specific to the general), was invented by Christians to discover the nature world that God had designed and created. Francis Bacon (founder of modern science) said, “God has placed no limits to the exercise of the intellect he has given us, on this side of the grave.”
Sir Isaac Newton (father of physics and inventor of calculus) wrote, “I have a fundamental belief in the Bible as the Word of God, written by those who were inspired. I study the Bible daily.” And, “We account the Scriptures of God to be the most sublime philosophy.”
Therefore, science was never about certainty- but rather the quest to always gain more knowledge and make educated guesses about the universe God created.
Even modern scientists like Carlo Rovelli readily confess that, “Science is not about certainty… [and] there’s nothing that is scientifically proven… it’s mostly correct.” Some of the greatest atheistic philosophers like David Hume and Bertrand Russell have openly admitted the “Problem of Induction.” Note the following from Stanford’s Encyclopedia of Philosophy;
Therefore, science and personal experience cannot be our foundation in life. We need a rock, a firm foundation- God’s Word. And if someone would claim they can have logic without God’s Word, we can gently share with them that they cannot even have the word “logic” without the word, “logos”!
Argument Against the Reliability of Science
- For science to prove anything scientists must be certain about the future.
- It is impossible for scientists to be certain about the future.
- Therefore, scientists cannot prove anything with certainty (only best guesses).
Argument for God from Science
- If God exists, the natural world will show design and be discoverable.
- The natural world operates based on laws that are discoverable and prove design.
- Therefore, God exists.
THE SAND OF GODLESS THINKING
Just as the origin of the word “logic” is dependent upon the word “logos,” all forms of logic are dependent up Jesus, the living Word (logos). Jesus said in John 14:6, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” Truth and logic are not just methods and propositions- they are a person!
Argument from Logic Against Materialism
- If materialism is true logic does not exist.
- If logic does not exist, then this sentence has no meaning.
- This sentence and many other sentences have meaning.
- Therefore, materialism is false.
Argument for God from Logic
- If God exists, then logic exists in His mind and thus is immaterial.
- Logic exists and is immaterial.
- Therefore, God exists and is the source of immaterial logic.
THE WORD OF GOD AS A PERSON & WRITTEN SCRIPTURE
(1) THE WORD OF GOD AS A PERSON
(a) John 1:1-5,14,16-18, “1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. 14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. 16 Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given. 17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.”
(b) Revelation 19:11-16, “11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. 12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. 13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. 14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 15 Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.” He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: King of kings and Lord of lords.”
(2) THE WORD OF GOD AS WRITTEN SCRIPTURE
(a) 1 Thessalonians 2:13, “And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe.
(b) Luke 11:27-28, “27 As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd called out, ‘Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you.’ 28 He replied, ‘Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.’”
2 Timothy 3:16-17, “16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”