In light of another pastor of a megachurch (6,000 members) committing suicide I thought it would be good to offer more biblical and medical insight to the issue in hopes that people will spread the word and help bring an end to this epidemic (over 33% increase in the last 12 years).
- Mental illness is not a choice, suicide is.
- Mental illness is not a sin, suicide is.
- Mental illness can come from various causes, suicide has only cause- the person’s choice.
- Mental illness can be understood medically, suicide cannot be understood medically because it is an act of the soul- an act of the will.
- Mental illness has nothing to do with one’s morals, suicide is immoral because it is self-murder.
- Mental illness cannot be stopped with willpower, suicide is solely done by willpower.
- Mental illness is not selfish, suicide is 100% selfish and self-centered.
As with my other posts on this touchy subject I have over 20 years of pastoral experience and have studied 40+ plus books on the subject from the best in the field (non-Christian and Christian) to back up the above statements. Not to mention, the Bible- the foundation for the Christian worldview, human suffering, and morality.
Please pray for this man’s family, church, and for those who may be considering doing the same thing because they think, “If God couldn’t help this pastor, then how can He help me?”
Suicide is NEVER the answer to relieve your pain for the following reasons:
- Your pain will not end spiritually/mentally, but only continue in hell because you have murdered yourself and demonstrated that Jesus was not the Lord of your life. He taught you to deny yourself, not murder yourself. No true Christian can claim Jesus as Lord and then end their life.
- Your pain will not end physically, because you will be resurrected in a body of death to suffer forever in the lake of fire.
- Your pain will not end for your loved ones, you will simply make their life more painful and increase their chance of committing suicide- especially if you have children (and this will also be held against you on Judgment Day).
Please come to Jesus and let Him carry your burdens! Please reach out to Pastor Lauren Scienski if you need help or prayer.
Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV) 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”