Hebrews 13:4, “Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.”
God’s purpose for sex is for one man and one woman in marriage to enjoy themselves in intimacy with the desired outcome of having children. Certainly, married couples can enjoy sex without having children, but reproduction should be considered as the “norm” during childbearing years. Also, being sexual can refer to more than just having sex, but also erotic behavior that produces an orgasm.
Though the Bible strongly advocates genuine love and sexuality in such books as Song of Solomon, it also gives strong warning against perversion. Perversion is a distortion of the original “version.” In today’s passage the author of Hebrews warns that God will judge sex outside of God’s original intent of marriage and we know from Revelation 21:8 that means they will not inherit the Kingdom of God but be cast into the Lake of Fire.
Here is a list of sexual sins with a short definition that everyone should avoid: (1) Adultery: A married person having sexual relations with someone other than their spouse. Also, Jesus said in the New Testament all lust was considered “adultery of the heart” (Matthew 5:28 & 19:18). (2) Immorality: Sexual experiences with the opposite sex outside of marriage, i.e., “oral sex, massaging or toughing of private parts, etc.” (Galatians 5:19).
(3) Lust: A strong sexual desire for someone you’re not married to, also called adultery of the heart (Matthew 5:28). (4) Bestiality: Sex between a human and an animal (Leviticus 18:23). (5) Molestation and Rape: To have sex by force or to touch in a sexual way without permission (Deuteronomy 22:25).
(6) Homosexuality: To have sex or sexual experiences (kissing, oral sex, etc.) with the same sex (Romans 1:26-27). (7) Masturbation: To have sex with one’s self, this is considered impure in Galatians 5:19. (8) Pornography: To lust after images in a magazine, video or the like, this is also considered impure in Galatians 5:19. (9) Unequally Yoked: To marry someone that is a non-Christian (2 Corinthians 6:4). (10) Incest: To have sex or sexual experiences with a family member (Leviticus 20:12).
God’s purpose for sex is meant to be in heterosexual marriage and everything else is a sin- a perversion of God’s original version. Marriage and sex is the one thing God said represents His relationship with the church; which is a loving, holy and intimate relationship (Ephesians 5:31-32).
In the beginning God made us male and female in His image. He did this to show us His love for us. Sexual union is a physical representation of a spiritual union with God. John Piper said, “We need a robust vision of the beauty and sacredness of sexual intercourse as God designed it.” I agree because what we are sexually is a reflection of who we are spiritually. If we believe we are in union with God we will treat sexuality as a holy thing, not as an idol. Therefore, if you’re married stay committed to each other and if you’re single wait for the right person to marry. For both single and married, be holy because God is holy.
- Repent of any sexual sin you may have in your life.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to keep you sexually pure.
- Honor marriage and live holy in your sexuality!