What did the British during the American Revolution have in common with the white slave owners during the Civil War and with the white racists leaders in the south during the Civil Rights movement and the Nazis in Germany? The all wanted the clergy to stay out of politics.
If we don’t know the past we’re bound to repeat it. By God’s grace, I want to remind the Christian people in this nation of our God-given place in government and political affairs.
31 At that time some Pharisees came to Jesus and said to him, “Leave this place and go somewhere else. Herod wants to kill you.” 32 He replied, “Go tell that fox, ‘I will keep on driving out demons and healing people today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will reach my goal.’”
Cruel and oppressive government or rule… unreasonable, or arbitrary use of power or control.
BIBLICAL EXAMPLES WHEN GODLY PEOPLE RESISTED TYRANNY
- MOSES telling Pharaoh the Jews were just going to worship in the wilderness and when they left he had the people ask the Egyptians for their possessions (Exodus 9:1-2 & 12:35-36).
- RAHAB helping the two Jewish spies prepare to destroy her nation (Joshua 2:1-24).
- DANIEL, SHADRACH, MESCHAH, & ABEDNEGO refusing to submit to the religious rules of Babylon (Daniel; 3:1-30 & 6:1-28).
- DAVID not letting Saul catch him (1 Samuel 21:10).
- JOHN THE BAPTIST refusing to stop rebuking King Herod for his sin (Mark 6:17-20).
- JESUS refusing to stop preaching (Luke 13:31-32) and not answering the judges questions (John 19:8-11).
- PETER & THE DISCIPLES refusing to stop preaching in Jesus’ name (Acts 5:17-42).
- PAUL continuing to preach despite warning from both the Jews and Romans to stop (Acts 28:17-20).
UNDERSTANDING ROMANS 13:1-7, MATTHEW 5:38-42 & ECCLESIASTES 3:1-8
Romans 13:1-7, “1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.
3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.
6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.”
Matthew 5:38-42, “38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.”
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, “1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: 2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, 3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build, 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, 6 a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, 7 a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, 8 a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.”
WHEN TO RESIST TYRANNY
(1) When evil people hinder you from life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
(2) When evil people prevent you from practicing the Christian religion as the Bible prescribes.
God grants your conscience the right to resist and to face whatever consequences that you may receive.
WHY I BELIEVE IN PEACEFUL RESISTANCE TO LOCKDOWN ORDERS IN STATES LIKE ILLINOIS
(1) The extension of 30 more days of lockdown violates our First Amendment Rights.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
(2) U.S. citizens’ lives, liberties, and their pursuit of happiness are in jeopardy.
- It was announced Friday that the alternate care facility for COVID-19 patients at McCormick Place is being dismantled due to the slow of the virus in Illinois.
- Many doctors are now expressing that it is better to quarantine the sick and not the healthy because the healthy need to keep a strong immune system, be productive in life, and the sick need a strong society to return to.
WHAT SHOULD BE ALLOWED AS OF MAY IN ALL STATES
- Church gatherings (with social distance & masks if they are proven to stop the spread).
- Ceremonies- weddings, funerals, graduations, etc. (with social distancing & masks if they are proven to stop the spread).
- All parks and beaches should be opened (with social distancing if it is proven to stop the spread in outdoor spaces).
- Opening of all businesses (with social distancing & masks if they are proven to stop the spread).
- Small home gatherings of 10-15 people with extended family, friends, and neighbors (assuming the sick are quarantined).
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.