REVELATION 2:12-17 (NKJV)
12 “And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write, ‘These things says He who has the sharp two-edged sword [Hebrews 4:12, Revelation 1:16, 19:15]: 13 “I know your works, and where you dwell, where Satan’s throne is. And you hold fast to My name, and did not deny My faith even in the days in which Antipas was My faithful martyr, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells.
14 But I have a few things against you, because you have there those who hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit sexual immorality. [Numbers 22-25, 31:16 & 2 Peter 2:15] 15 Thus you also have those who hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate. 16 Repent, or else I will come to you quickly and will fight against them with the sword of My mouth.
17 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. [John 6:49-50] And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.”’
JESUS’ OPENING DECLARATION
- Jesus has the sharp two-edged sword (the Word of God)
PRAISE FOR THE PERGAMOS CHURCH
- They hold hold fast to Jesus’ name
- They have not denied Jesus’ faith (teachings) in the face of death
- Some at the church hold to the doctrine of Balaam
- Some hold to the doctrine of the Nicolaitans
- Repent of the false doctrines
- If they do not repent Jesus will fight against them
JESUS’ CLOSING DECLARATION
- Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.
- To those who overcome Jesus will give them hidden manna and a new name on a white stone
POPULAR TEACHINGS THAT THE CHURCH IN THE US NEEDS TO REPENT FOR
- EATING FOOD SACRIFICED TO IDOLS: Mixing paganism with Christianity by praying to saints, adorning statues/idols, tarot cards, spiritually guided yoga/meditation, and the horoscope. (Exodus 20:4, Deuteronomy 18:9-13, Isaiah 8:19, & Matthew 18:18-20)
- SEXUAL IMMORALITY: Believing God affirms sexually perverse behavior like homosexuality, adultery, pornography, and divorce. (Romans 1:24-25, Galatians 5:19, 1 Timothy 1:8-10, & Jude 7).
- OTHERS: (1) Idolizing Christian Super Stars, (2) A Non-Judgmental Jesus, (3) Many Ways to Heaven, (4) Greesy-Grace, (5) Abortion, (6) Self-Centered Christianity, & (7) Rebellion Towards Church Leadership