Like in the time of the writing of Revelation, God is wanting His church to remove the people from the local gathering that are introducing false teachings and instead hold on to the original teachings of Christ.
18 “To the angel of the church in Thyatira write: These are the words of the Son of God, whose eyes are like blazing fire and whose feet are like burnished bronze. 19 I know your deeds, your love and faith, your service and perseverance, and that you are now doing more than you did at first.
20 Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophet. [Revelation 2:2, 1 Kings 16:31-32, & 2 Kings 9:22-23] By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols. 21 I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling. 22 So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. 23 I will strike her children dead. [2 Kings 9:30-37] Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds.
24 Now I say to the rest of you in Thyatira, to you who do not hold to her teaching and have not learned Satan’s so-called deep secrets, ‘I will not impose any other burden on you, 25 except to hold on to what you have until I come.’ 26 To the one who is victorious and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations — 27 that one ‘will rule them with an iron scepter and will dash them to pieces like pottery’ —just as I have received authority from my Father. [Psalm 2:9] 28 I will also give that one the morning star. [Revelation 22:16 & 2 Peter 1:19] 29 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.
JESUS’ OPENING DECLARATION
- Jesus has eyes blazing like fire
- And feet like burnished bronze
PRAISE FOR THE THYATIRA CHURCH
- They have good deeds, love, faith, service, and perseverance
- They are doing more good needs now than before
- They tolerate Jezebel, a false prophet
- Jesus will put Jezebel on a bed of suffering with those who follow her
- He will also strike dead Jezebel’s children (followers)
- Repent from following Jezebel
- Hold on to Jesus’ teachings
JESUS’ CLOSING DECLARATION
- To the victorious Jesus will give authority to rule over nations
- Jesus will give them the morning star
- Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.