Jesus teaches us that we should not be lukewarm but rather receive His loving rebukes and discipline so we can be rich and have close fellowship with Him!
14 “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. [Colossians 4:12-15 & Daniel 7:14] 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. [Matthew 7:21-23 & Titus 1:16]
17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.
19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. [John 14:15] So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.
21 To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. [Revelation 5:13-14; 22:1] 22 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”
JESUS’ OPENING DECLARATION
- Jesus is the Amen
- The faithful and true witness
- The ruler of God’s creation
REBUKE FOR THE CHURCH
- Because their deeds are neither hot or cold but they are lukewarm, Jesus is ready to spit them out of His mouth.
- They say they are rich and don’t need a thing, but Jesus says they are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.
ENCOURAGEMENT & INSTRUCTION
- Jesus commands them to buy gold from Him so they can be rich, have white clothes to wear to cover their nakedness, and salve for their eyes to see.
- They are to be earnest and repent
- They should open the door for Jesus to dine with them
JESUS’ CLOSING DECLARATION
- To the victorious Jesus will give the right to sit with Him on His Father’s Throne
- Whoever has ears let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches