Jesus came to be the life of the party and enjoy fellowship with us in blissful marriage!
THE SEVEN SIGNS OF JOHN
- Changing water into wine (John 2:1-11).
- Healing the royal official’s son (John 4:46-54).
- Healing the paralytic (John 5:1-15).
- Feeding the 5000 (John 6:5-14).
- Jesus walking on water (John 6:16-24).
- Healing the blind man (John 9:1-7).
- The raising of Lazarus from the dead (John 11:1-45).
Great book for more depth, The Seven Signs: Seeing the Glory of Christ in the Gospel of John
John 2:1-12, “1 On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.” 4 “Woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.” 5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”
6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons. 7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim. 8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.” They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10 and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”
11 What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him. 12 After this he went down to Capernaum with his mother and brothers and his disciples. There they stayed for a few days.”
WINE IS BLESSED IN THE BIBLE
Below are just some of verses that speak of God’s blessings when it comes to wine:
- Deuteronomy 14:26, “Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice.”
- Psalm 104:14-15, “14 He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for people to cultivate— bringing forth food from the earth: 15 wine that gladdens human hearts, oil to make their faces shine, and bread that sustains their hearts.”
- Proverbs 3:10, “Then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.”
- Ecclesiastes 9:7, “Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do.”
- Isaiah 25:6, “On this mountain the Lord Almighty will prepare a feast of rich food for all peoples, a banquet of aged wine– the best of meats and the finest of wines.”
For more in-depth study check out MPI’s sermon and notes on alcohol.
A FORETASTE OF FEASTS TO COME
First, there will be a wedding feast in heaven when the Bride of Christ (the Church) is forever joined to Jesus and second there will be a feast on earth to start the millennium reign (Revelation 20:6).
- The Marriage Feast in Heaven: Revelation 19:9, “Then the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!”
- The Celebration Feast on Earth: Isaiah 25:6, “On this mountain the Lord Almighty will prepare a feast of rich food for all peoples, a banquet of aged wine– the best of meats and the finest of wines.”
John 4:13-14, “13 Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
Ephesians 5:18, “Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.”