The tithe is 10% of our total income given to God faithfully.
Genesis 28:20-22, “20 Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear 21 so that I return safely to my father’s household, then the Lord will be my God 22 and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.”
- JACOB MADE A COMMITMENT TO GOD: Just like how Jacob made a vow (promise) to serve God we should commit our lives to always follow Jesus, vs. 20-21.
- JACOB PARTNERED WITH GOD THROUGH TITHING: In the same way Jacob was willing to give one tenth of everything he had in life because he recognized it was from God we should also be willing to tithe and partner with God, v. 22.
Make a commitment to serve God all the days of your life and partner with Him by giving back 10% of everything He gives you.
- Realize that everything you have and will ever have is because of God.
- Therefore, honor your partnership with God by tithing and not being greedy, stingy, or prideful. Because naked you came into this world and naked you will leave. Only what you do for God will last eternity.
- Partnership: When God blesses you, bless Him in return!
The tithe was “implied” with Cain and Abel; “revealed” to Abraham, “established” in the Law of Moses, and is still “relevant” for today. It comes with a “blessing and curse,” it must be “qualitative,” a “priority,” and a “faithful” practice in our lives. The tithe “advances” the Kingdom of God, tests our “maturity,” breaks the attitude of greed through “obedience,” is “mandated” for all, and brings us into “partnership” with God and His Church.