The tithe is 10% of our total income given to God faithfully.
Malachi 3:8-9, “8 ‘Will a mere mortal rob God? Yet you rob me. “But you ask, ‘How are we robbing you?’ “In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—your whole nation—because you are robbing me.”
- NOT TITHING IS CONSIDERED ROBBING GOD: God considers the tithe His, thus when we don’t give it back He considers us robbers, v. 8.
- GOD CURSES THOSE WHO DON’T TITHE: God curses (or punishes) those who break His commands, both in this life and in the judgment to come, v. 9.
Giving God our whole tithe is a very serious command that will result in curses and punishment if we neglect it.
- Don’t rob God by keeping His tithe.
- Repent if you have been robbing God by stealing His tithe.
- Give God your tithe faithfully.
The tithe was “implied” with Cain and Abel; “revealed” to Abraham, “established” in the Law of Moses, and is still “relevant” for today. It comes with a “blessing and curse,” it must be “qualitative,” a “priority,” and a “faithful” practice in our lives. The tithe “advances” the Kingdom of God, tests our “maturity,” breaks the attitude of greed through “obedience,” is “mandated” for all, and brings us into “partnership” with God and His church.