Lesson 7: The Tithe Must Represent Our Best.


The tithe is 10% of our total income given to God faithfully. 

Scripture Reading

Malachi 1:8,13-14, “8 When you offer blind animals for sacrifice, is that not wrong? When you sacrifice lame or diseased animals, is that not wrong? Try offering them to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you?” says the Lord Almighty. 13 And you say, ‘What a burden!’ and you sniff at it contemptuously,” says the Lord Almighty. “When you bring injured, lame or diseased animals and offer them as sacrifices, should I accept them from your hands?” says the Lord. 14 “Cursed is the cheat who has an acceptable male in his flock and vows to give it, but then sacrifices a blemished animal to the Lord. For I am a great king,” says the Lord Almighty, “and my name is to be feared among the nations.”

Main Points

  1. THE GOVERNMENT DOESN’T EXCEPT OUR LEFTOVERS: Just like in the days of paying tribute to kings, we have to give our first dollars to taxes.  The government doesn’t let us give whatever we feel like paying whenever we feel like it, but rather they “take out” of our check the first and the best, v. 8.
  2. THE TITHE SHOULD COME FROM THE BEST WE HAVE: The quality of our tithes & offerings should not be our leftovers but rather our best.  So just like we pay taxes we should always first give our best tithe back to God, v. 13.
  3. GOD CURSES THOSE WHO DON’T GIVE THEIR BEST: God literally said, “Cursed is the cheat…” who can give their best but doesn’t.  Therefore, our best shouldn’t go to rent, car notes, or even groceries- but our best should first go to God, v. 14.


God doesn’t want our leftovers, He desires our best in the form of our tithes.


  1. Make the habit of giving God 10% of your gross income before you spend the other 90%.
  2. Repent if you have not been tithing and have been giving God your leftovers.
  3. Give God your tithe faithfully.

[infobox title=’Confession’]The tithe was “implied” with Cain and Abel; “revealed” to Abraham, “established” in the Law of Moses, and is still “relevant” for today.  It comes with a “blessing and curse,” it must be “qualitative,” a “priority,” and a “faithful” practice in our lives. The tithe “advances” the Kingdom of God, tests our “maturity,” breaks the attitude of greed through “obedience,” is “mandated” for all, and brings us into “partnership” with God and His Church.[/infobox]



Stay up to date with our content when it's released. Daily devotionals, sermons, and much more!

*We don’t spam and you can unsubscribe anytime 🙂