The concept of work and productivity was a blessing of God given to mankind before the fall. The Bible records in Genesis 2:15, “The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.” Therefore, the command to work and serve God on our jobs is a blessing not a curse!
After the fall, work became filled with thorns and challenges (Genesis 3:17-19). However, God said through King Solomon in Ecclesiastes 2:24-25, “24 A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their own toil. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, 25 for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment?” Therefore, despite the challenges we face we must work as unto the Lord and find enjoyment in Christ-centered service.
1 Corinthians 9:24-27, “24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”
Consider this video as inspiration to those who run races to win!
SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINES DEFINITION: The commands and practices a disciple “show” in their life to “grow” spiritually because they “know” God.
TWELVE SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINES:
- Bible Reading
- Family Order
- Scripture Memorization
- Soul Journaling
- Praying & Worshipping
- Discipleship & Christlikeness
- Christian Service
- Public Evangelism
- Spiritual Meditation
- Financial Stewardship
- Christian Fellowship
- Church Involvement
COMMAND FOR CHRISTIAN SERVICE: Colossians 3:17; 23-24, “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. 23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”
DEFINITION: To do all things unto the Lord, especially in your occupation. As Christians we serve and worship God in all that we do.
HOW TO WORK AND DO ALL THINGS UNTO JESUS
- SEE JESUS AS YOUR MASTER (“Do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus” v. 17 “As working for the Lord” v. 23): See Jesus as your Master and serve Him with joy (Nehemiah 8:10).
- BE THANKFUL (“Giving thanks to God the Father” v. 17): Be thankful to God for where you are and what you have (ex., “Joseph”).
- WORK WITH ALL YOUR HEART (“Work at it with all your heart” v. 23): Don’t settle for anything less than God’s best and your success (Colossians 3:23).
- HAVE GOD’S THOUGHTS (“Since you know…” v. 24): Guard your thoughts from self-centered thinking- think on God’s true and noble things (Philippians 4:8).
- LOOK TO YOUR REWARD (“You will receive an inheritance from the Lord” v. 24): Believe and trust that God has an inheritance for you! (Colossians 3:24)
Prayerfully discover your God-given purpose and pursue it with all your passion in the power of the Holy Spirit to prosper in all that you do!