Loving God & Loving People
Looking at the story of Esther we can see a clear example of her love for God and people. Both Mordecai and Queen Esther refused to worship anything other than God and were willing to lay down their lives for the sake of others. Though the story also contains a display of severe judgment upon the villain Haman and his family, however, this does not diminish the righteousness of God or His people. But rather the judgment serves as an example of eternal punishment for those who refuse to love the one true God and treat others as themselves.
Esther 4:14, “For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?”
How Mordecai & Queen Esther Loved God and People
- Mordecai LOVE PEOPLE by rescuing King Xerxes from a murderous plot, Esther 2:21-23.
- Mordecai LOVED GOD by refusing to bow down to a man and treat him like a god, Esther 3:2.
- Mordecai LOVED GOD & PEOPLE by risking his life to help the Jewish people, Esther 4:13-14,17.
- Esther LOVED GOD & PEOPLE by accepting the call to be a deliverer for the Jewish people, Esther 4:15-16.
Applying the Examples of Mordecai & Esther to the Church
- We should LOVE GOD like Mordecai and refuse to worship anyone other than God and like Esther by obeying God’s commands, John 14:15.
- We should LOVE PEOPLE like Mordecai and Esther who rescued the Jewish people and gave them life saving instructions, Luke 10:25-37.
Loving God & Loving People
Matthew 22:35-40, “35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. ’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. ’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
How to Love God & People
- We love God by, (i) Worshipping and adoring Him with passion & (ii) Obeying all His commands.
- We love people by, (i) Helping them in their times of need & (ii) Preaching the gospel to them.
The Biblical Mandate
- Loving God Through Worship | 2 Samuel 6:5,14-15, John 4:23-24, Song of Solomon 5:2-8, & Revelations 5:11-14.
- Loving God with Obedience | Deuteronomy 11:1,30:15-16, John 14:23-24, & 1 John 2:3-4.
- Loving People by Helping Them | Luke 10:25-37, John 3:16, Acts 2:44-47, 4:32-37, & 1 John 3:16.
- Loving People by Preaching to Them | Matthew 9:35-38, Mark 16:15, 1 Corinthians 9:16, 2 Timothy 4:2, & Jude 1:22-23.
Will you love God and people this year?