CONFESSION OF FAITH
- I BELIEVE in one God and Creator who is the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit: The Father who so loved the world, The Son who purchased my salvation in His death, burial, and resurrection, and The Holy Spirit who makes me new and abides in me forever.
- I BELIEVE in the perfect Holy Bible that reveals God’s purposes and plans for my life.
- I BELIEVE in the Second of Coming of Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead.
- I BELIEVE in the eternal reward of believers in Jesus and the eternal punishment for all unbelievers in Jesus.
- I BELIEVE in the united Church of Jesus Christ built upon Apostles and Prophets, Elders and Deacons; in which the gates of hell shall not prevail.
- I BELIEVE in the salvation for all mankind is by faith alone, in Christ alone, by God’s grace alone, and for the glory of God alone.
16 FUNDAMENTAL BELIEFS
1. WE BELIEVE… The Scriptures are inspired by God and declare His design and plan for mankind from Genesis to Revelations, 2 Timothy 3:16-17.
2. WE BELIEVE… There is only One True God–revealed in three persons; the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (commonly known as the Trinity), Matthew 28:19.
3. WE BELIEVE… In the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ; as God’s Son Jesus was both human and divine, John 1:1,14 & 18.
MANKIND & SALVATION
4. WE BELIEVE… Though originally good, man willingly fell to sin–ushering evil and death, both physical and spiritual, into the world, Romans 3:23.
5. WE BELIEVE… Every person can have restored fellowship with God through faith in Jesus Christ, Romans 10:13.
BAPTISM & COMMUNION
6. WE BELIEVE… And practice two ordinances—(1) Water Baptism by immersion after repenting of one’s sins and receiving Christ’s gift of salvation as a symbol of Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection, Matthew 28:19 and (2) Holy Communion (the Lord’s Supper) as a symbolic remembrance of Christ’s suffering and death for our salvation, Luke 22:19-22.
THE HOLY SPIRIT
7. WE BELIEVE… The Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a special experience following salvation that empowers believers for witnessing and effective service, just as it did in New Testament times, Acts 2:4.
8. WE BELIEVE… The initial physical evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit is ‘speaking in tongues,’ as experienced on the Day of Pentecost and referenced throughout Acts and the Epistles, Acts 19:6.
9. WE BELIEVE… Sanctification initially occurs at salvation and is not only a declaration that a believer is holy, but also a progressive lifelong process of separating from evil as believers continually draw closer to God and become more Christ-like, 1 Corinthians 6:11.
10. WE BELIEVE… The Church has a mission to seek and save all who are lost in sin. We believe ‘the Church’ is the Body of Christ and consists of the people who, throughout time, have accepted God’s offer of redemption (regardless of religious denomination) through the sacrificial death of His son Jesus Christ, Matthew 16:18.
11. WE BELIEVE… A Divinely Called and Scripturally ordained leadership ministry serves the church. The Bible teaches that each of us under leadership must commit ourselves to reach others for Christ, to worship Him with other believers, and to build up or edify the body of believers–the Church, 1 Timothy 3:1-16 (Offices- Elders and Deacons) & Ephesians 4:11-12 (Gifts- Five-fold Ministries).
12. WE BELIEVE… Divine healing of the sick is a privilege for Christians today and is provided for in Christ’s atonement (His sacrificial death on the cross for our sins), 1 Peter 2:24.
13. WE BELIEVE… In The Blessed Hope—When Jesus raptures His Church prior to His return to earth (the second coming). At this future moment in time all believers who have died will rise from their graves and will meet the Lord in the air, and Christians who are alive will be caught up with them, to be with the Lord forever, 1 Thessalonians 4:17.
14. WE BELIEVE… In The Millennial Reign of Christ when Jesus returns with His saints at His second coming and begins His benevolent rule over earth for 1,000 years. At that time many in the nation of Israel will recognize and accept Him as the Messiah, the Savior who died for them and all mankind, Revelation 20:6.
15. WE BELIEVE… A Final Judgment will take place for those who have rejected Christ. They will be judged for their sin and consigned to eternal punishment in a punishing lake of fire, Revelation 20:15.
16. WE BELIEVE… And look forward to the perfect new heavens and a new earth that Christ is preparing for all people, of all time, who have accepted Him. We will live and dwell with Him there forever following His millennial reign on earth. ‘And so shall we forever be with the Lord,” Revelation 21:3.
MPI’S STANCE ON ABORTION
Metro Praise International believes that, according to the Scriptures, unborn children, while not fully developed, are fully human, and thus bear the image of God (Ps. 139:13-18; Jer. 1:5; Luke 1:44). Therefore, just as Scripture plainly condemns the killing of innocent human life, along with it, we condemn the practice of abortion as the murder of unborn children (Gen. 9:5-6; Ex. 20:6).
Given the rampant nature of abortion, and the favored status of the abortion industry by our legal system, we view abortion as one of the gravest injustices of our time. There have been over 58 million abortions performed since its legalization in 1973. That number increases by about 1.3 million each year, 3,500 each day, 2 each minute. Statistics show that 1 in 3 women (30%) will have had an abortion by age 45. If an abortion is indeed the murder of an unborn child, those massive figures amount to genocide. Meanwhile, abortion is celebrated by one of our country’s two main political parties, defended by the mainstream media and tolerated by most Americans.
In response to this, disciple of Christ are called to be salt and light to a decaying and darkened culture (Matt. 5:13-16); they are to speak against evil and injustice (Micah 6:8; Eph. 5:16); and to speak up for the oppressed (Prov. 24:11-12; 31:8-9). Metro Praise International, therefore, stands against the evil of abortion and in defense of unborn children.
In light of these facts, MPI has taken the following approach to abortion:
- We will speak against abortion from our pulpits, whatever outlet we are provided, or whenever the issue is raised.
- We will teach our members that abortion is murder of unborn children.
- We will not allow those who have abortions and do not repent to call themselves brothers or sisters in our fellowship.
- We will gently restore those who have had abortions and have repented.
- We will strongly encourage our members to hold the protection of unborn life and the end to legal abortion as top priorities in all their political and social engagement, including how they vote.
- We believe in the local church taking opportunities to minister at abortion clinics.
MPI’S STANCE ON MARRIAGE, GENDER & SEXUALITY
The LGBT movement, as implied by its very name, encompasses a wide variety of sexual behaviors and preferences; most predominant in our culture are homosexuality and transgenderism. Therefore, instead of attempting to address the widening spectrum of orientations and gender identities, Metro Praise International wishes to establish some basic biblical parameters for marriage, gender and sexuality. Jesus did exactly this when he was questioned about divorce and remarriage, and based his answer on God’s design at creation:
“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate (Matt. 19:4-6).
The plain inference is that God that created gender, having made mankind “male and female.” Further, God created marriage, for He intended that a “man” leave his “father and mother” to “be united to his wife.”
Observe what Jesus declared about God’s design for marriage and sexuality:
- God created mankind to have only one of two genders – male or female.
- God created marriage, and thus has the right to define marriage.
- God ordained marriage to be between one man and one woman.
- Marriage is a rite reserved for adults for a man must leave his parent’s home before he finds a wife.
Jesus, by appealing to God’s design in creation, ruled out any type of marriage arrangement, except for a monogamous union between one man and one woman. It also rules any type of gender identity except for the God-given gender each person receives at birth.
In light of these facts, MPI has taken the following approach to the LGBT movement:
- We will speak against the LGBT lifestyle from the pulpit, whatever outlet we are provided, or whenever the issue is raised.
- We will teach our members about the biblical view of marriage and sexuality as described above.
- We will not allow those who continue in sexual perversion and do not repent to call themselves brothers or sisters within our fellowship.
- We will gently restore who have come out of the LGBT lifestyle and have repented.
- We will strongly encourage our members to hold the preservation of marriage and family as top priorities in all their political and social engagement, including how they vote.